Saturday, 27 March 2010

Addicted to Adverbs


Am I the only one? 70% of my editing process is cutting adverbs, 10% is fixing plotholes, and 20% is cutting adjectives.

Um, why can't the world just accept I love my descriptive words? Especially the ones ending in 'ly'. In a recent peer critique, (at Miss Snark's First Victim - one of the nifty blogs I'm addicted to) where authors submit the first 25 words of their stories, I submitted mine, and the main issue was, of course, the adverb I had thrown in there.

'I’m not dead.

The words, harmlessly scrawled onto the wooden bench at Angel Park, have been there for years. '

The word harmlessly was not harmless, it turned out, and almost every person said to remove it. And, truth be told, I think I do like

'The words, scrawled onto the wooden bench at Angel Park, have been there for years,'

better than the alternative.

What do you think? Do you use too many adverbs too?

1 comment:

Lisa and Laura said...

Ah adverbs...we had no idea we were supposed to limit them when we first began writing! So yes, we pay much closer attention now. I love your Wordle, by the way. And I like the new version of your writing as well!