Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Battle-Cry (For Robin)


(Warning, epic linkage in this post to inspirational sources/songs/poems)

Continuing on with my 'Shivers' post, I'd like to put down some of my personal inspiration, since I know I'm not the only one who has issues with this. I wonder, is it extremely egotistical that one of the things that inspires me best is my old poetry? I think it's because I'm really not a poet, except occasionally a God-hit sends me a really nifty poem.


But isn't natural that the overpourings of our own hearts can be that spark that sets our imaginations afire? Anyway, I'm rambling too much - here's some of my inspiration.


For my first ever story, boredom itself was my inspiration. I read a book, I didn't want it to end, I was bored, I wrote more of the story. It's been in my old files for a long while now, but it's what started me.


Second inspiration - Legend of Zelda. Seriously, Twilight Princess alone spawned an entire novel, simply because I love Link, and wanted a main character similar to him (except, obviously, my MC talks.) And Majora's Mask? Hidden backstory? Creepy!


So, neither boredom nor video games do it for you? Fear not! Inspiration is everywhere! Deviantart can be inspiring, one picture can spawn a whole story. Reading other friends' work can be inspiring, I know I have a particular friend whose imagery makes me go all starry-eyed.

Music, also, is a big source of inspiration for me. Ludovico Einaudi, who I learned about from LTG partner Robin (it's a church thing - and I love her so freaking much) is absolutely... chimerical. Yeah, I said it. :P

If you're not in the mood for mellow pianos (Imogen Heap/Regina Spektor) and classic flair, then there's always the bands that really just inspire with their lyrics - Linkin Park will always be one of my favorites, and no one will ever surpass Mayday Parade. 12 Stones also has a lot of wide-open lyrics that could apply to so many people.

I also like to browse through quotes by Anais Nin, even though I don't always agree with what she says. She makes me think, and brings up some interesting points.

I also keep a journal where I put pictures that always make me do a double-take. As well as some quotes, such as...(I can't site most, sorry!)

-Let me be the one you call if you jump, I will break your fall, lift you up and fly away with you into the night. If you need to fall apart, I can mend a broken heart. If you need to crash, then crash and burn, you're not alone.

-All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible - T.E. Lawrence

-What do you love? What do you despise? By this you are truly known.

- Blow on the coal of the heart

The candles in the churches are out

The lights have gone out in the sky.

Blow on the coal of the heart

and we'll see by and by... - J.B.

-All the people and friends you have lost, or the dreams that have faded, never forget them - Yuna from FFX

-If there is a gun on the mantle in the first act, it must go off in the third.

- Lightly she sways,

Commanding with each movement,

Music sparkling plays.

Her scepter says:

Faster. - Lauren

- For whatever is truly wondrous and fearful in a man, never yet was put into words or books. - Herman Melville

- There is more to you than this, if you have the courage to write it. - Little Women

No comments: