Friday, 12 March 2010

I just realized

how confusing it could be for me to always post the results of the different genres. So how about this - I'll post the beginning of each? And I'll just tell you how each is going once a week. So here it is... Fictional Friday!
The Story: Angel's Jeans
The Beginning:

Purity – an essay by Aaron Evans
Purity, most fragile of all virtues, the state of being free from all sin. But why purity? Why would Aaron Evans, the most openly atheistic and sarcastic senior ever to grace the halls of Lincoln High, write about purity? It’s a topic most explored by religions, surely, and not one of those religions would approve of my lifestyle.
Not that there’s a being alive who isn’t jealous of it. Born to privilege, easy going, talented, intelligent, I’m the ideal of our generation. I’m Aaron Evans, for pity’s sake, I can do anything. But in a world that asks more questions than it answers, it’s been hard to remain true to my sense of self – to remain pure. In my own personal opinion, purity has nothing to do with actions, and everything to do with integrity.’

A teenage girl’s room is her sanctuary, one that ought not be trespassed upon. A cluttered sanctuary, perhaps, and one with a carpet made entirely of books, dirty clothes, and abandoned CD cases, but a place of refuge nonetheless. I’ve tried explaining this to my mother, but to no avail.
Might I mention how annoying it is to have to constantly be picking up one’s sanctuary?
Staring in despair at the carpet-of-sorts, I grimaced, and dropped my book bag on the top of the laundry pile nearest me. First day of school, and already at least fifteen pounds of textbook crushed the clothes beneath them, with the promise of more tomorrow. I grabbed my old sweatshirt off the floor and hung it up fondly; there were memories attached to that grey Old Navy pullover. Like when Katy and I snuck out of PE class and spent the hour walking outside instead, talking about the latest installment of the Angel series, Destiny’s Lie. The book itself was over in the corner, its once pristine pages well thumbed and the hardcover binding cracked. I loved that series.
“Julie! Dinner!” my mother called, at least three hours later. Startled, I looked around at my still disastrous room guiltily. My sweatshirt was hung up, and the pages of the newest Angel book were slightly more wrinkled, but other than that, nothing was different. Laying the book on the pile of t-shirts next to me, I began to pick my way back across the room. It really did need to be cleaned.
“How’s the room coming?” was the first question out of my mom’s mouth.
With a nondescript tilt of my head and a shrug, I said, “It’s coming. Not done yet though.” I didn’t think I’d fooled her, but I’d get it clean before she saw it – hopefully.
Dinner was a casserole picked up from Costco, and I felt a little less guilty. If she could cheat on dinner, I could procrastinate cleaning my room. Right? I gulped it down quickly, at any rate. It never occurred to me that I didn’t have to gulp the whole thing down, not then at least.
Dinner, then back to my sanctuary. The CD player was ominously silent, so I put in one of several burned CDs – I didn’t care which one – and pressed play. Downstairs, I heard my parents start fighting over something. It wasn’t a common occurrence, but not exactly rare either. With a sigh, I leaned back against the door and closed my eyes. Please God, I prayed my regular prayer, let things change. I don’t care how, just let them change.
...
You like it? I know, a little angsty, but I won't make it too bad, I promise!

2 comments:

Lisa and Laura said...

Oh gosh, this totally brings me back to having to clean my room. I was such a slob and it drove my mom INSANE.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I hate to admit, but most of this was written out of experience. At least the messy room part. :)