Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Well, that was miserable...


I just spent the last four hours on one scene. And why? The only possible explanation I have is writer's block, but I don't know if that's it, exactly. I like my story, I know where I want it to go, I want to write, I sit at the computer, open the word file and.... nothing. Absolutely nothing. I knew a list of scenes I needed to write, but I didn't know which one to choose.
But, remembering an old piece of wisdom, I found the strength to forge onward. What wisdom? The writer's block isn't the inability to write, it's simply the inability to enjoy what you're writing. Over the years, I've learned that this is true - I'm writing, thinking it's horrible, but when I read over it later, it's just as good as anything else I write.
Also, not writing because of writer's block is wimping out, and wimping out is for amateurs.
So, professional (ha!) that I am, I slogged through 1,503 words in four hours.
I hate writing.
And yet... ah! How I love it.
Although I feel absolutely no gratification right now, just a desire to shut off Word forever and go eat something. I will resist, on both counts. Now, to read, and hopefully recharge my obviously exhausted word bank.

2 comments:

Make mine pink said...

You are one tough cookie to continue slogging on when the going is tough! I've always admired your perseverance in your writing- and it shows, because you write so well!

Donna Gambale said...

Sometimes my writing pace is agonizingly slow too. But hey, it's made me appreciate the times when the pages just flow! (And "flow" for me is like 1 page/hour sometimes. I'm a slow drafter.) It took me two years, but I finished my first novel. Keep it up!

Thanks for following First Novels Club!