Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Down with the Translator!


Sooo, a dear friend of mine facebook aquaintence recently introduced me to this fantabulous Bad Translator that basically takes up to 250 words and translates them about 54 different times, and gives you the end result. It's actually Google Translate (I think) and is basically just showing how online translators can really mess up. Or make it, shall we say, much less poetic. So I thought (hehehe) that I may want to take advantage of this... For Your Amusement.
(hehehe)

FAMOUS OPENING LINES........ TRANSLATED!

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - Orwell, 1984
Translates to....
April 13 and clean.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. - Dickens, Tale of Two Cities
Translates to....
Crazy cool in the dark and light, and pressure, and I think very little hope.

It was a dark and stormy night - used by freaking everyone
Translates to...
The sky is (non-english word) full.

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. - Dickens, David Copperfield
Translates to...
Or will be returned to a hero.

Somewhere in la Mancha, in a place whose name I do not care to remember, a gentleman lived not long ago, one of those who has a lance and ancient shield on a shelf and keeps a skinny nag and a greyhound for racing. - Cervantes, Don Quixote
Translates to...
La mantsha, I, like many other safety advice sleigh short, I think it is a competition dog.

I am a sick man . . . I am a spiteful man. -Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground
Translates to...
Fans of not sick.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. - Hemmingway, The Old Man and The Sea
Tranlates to...
Gulfstream Marine who died 84 days later age

The towers of Zenith aspired above the morning mist; austere towers of steel and cement and limestone, sturdy as cliffs and delicate as silver rods. - Sinclaire Lewis, Babbit
Translates to...
Astronomy Och, Fertilizer, Cement, Maintaining that bridge. Ribonhadoraimu good money.

The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting. -Stephen Crane, The Red Badge of Courage
Translates to...
"I, Cold Mountain, which opened in May to reduce poverty not war"

Thank you, thank you! Have a wonderful day. Or...
Hey! (seriously, that's the translation)

3 comments:

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

LOL. That's really interesting. And bizarre!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I see you're from the Tri-Cities. I worked in Richland for a summer.

beth said...

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! This is such a cool idea!!!!!