Friday, 30 April 2010

Forgot the Title Again!

I love this life.
Really, authors, I do! I love it SOOO much (with a cherry on top) and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Not even astronaut-ness!
And even in slumps, even in rejection, even in 'I really should just give up right now's, I know that I love it, and wouldn't give it up unless I'm ordered by the big-guy. (AKA, Chuck Norris :P Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding.)
But author friendlies, it makes me wonder - how many people do give up? And if they do, were they really writers in the first place? I think it's harsh to say they weren't, but there's a lot more to being a writer than just writing. Determination, perserverence, a touch of insanity...
But being a writer definitely is NOT defined by being published. At least in my very humble (unpublished) opinion. So... how do you define it?
Well, I think it's simple.
A writer writes.
Yeah, I know, Lieutenant Sarcasm, I'm currently filling in for Captain Obvious. Deal with it. Because it isn't as simple as it sounds. Writing is more than a hobby, most of the time, and it's not necessarily a lifelong thing. Writers, I believe, can start writing at fifty. Or ninety. Or 893. Writers can also stop writing, although I think that happens less often.
What makes a writer stop writing? Is it rejection? Is is loss of the gift? A life turnaround?
What makes a person start writing?
When does the hobby become the lifestyle?
When do we become certifiable?
:)

(By the way, I've been a little down the past few days, not because of editing, I don't think, but just because life in general has been a little... eh. Topsy turvy. Which is fine, but I'm starting to get a tummyache! So sorry if my posts are sub-par, I really am trying!)
(P.S. I forgot to title this, but I have to go get ready for the day, so no extra-witty titles for now! Sorry!)

1 comment:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Writing is no longer a hobby when you strive to get published. I keep coming up with other things to say, but then realize they describe me and my photography, which is a hobby. I guess the big difference is that I hope one day to make writing a career. I don't have the same aspirations for my photography. :)