Sunday, 25 April 2010

Ignoring Chekhov


Oh my goodness, people! So, I spend almost my entire saturday writing (be jealous. :D) and got to this point in the story where I'm like... I can't end it here, but it needs to end SOON! Dang nabbit!

Cliffhangers are bad, right? I mean, really bad cliffhangers?

(I just realized that made no sense. Okay...)

So, it's the second book in a series of three. Can there be a little bit of a cliffhanger? Pleeeeeeeeeese? It's not like, a bad guy is holding a dagger to the hero's heart, it's more like... a good cliffhanger. As in something REALLY good just happened, and the reader has to wait to find out what the repercussions of said good thing are. And that's only for one of the main characters, the other characters have their story nicely wrapped up.

(What was this post about again? Oh yes!)

What, as a writer/reader, are your favorite rules to break? (insert evil laugh) Seriously, we all know the rules, many of us know that none of them matter. So... what's your little secret?

Is it...

Telling rather than showing?

Using the serial comma?

Using '-'s incorrectly?

Writing inappropriate love scenes into children's books? (hehe, I'm kidding!)

Getting immersed in Elizabethan literature before writing, so your book is filled with 'thou's and 'whilst's?

Stealing ideas from movies? (with tweaks and changes, of course. I'd never accuse you of plot fraud!)

Going back and editing several times before you finished the first draft?

Talking to other people about your story before you're done writing?

WELL.....

Know what my broken rule is?? (you ready? it's pretty horrible!)

While writing.....................

I...............

LISTEN TO MUSIC! GASP!

And not just ANY music!

Music that has to do with what I'm writing! Emotional music!

*GASP*

Of course, the problem with this is obvious. Being emotional while writing (from the music) can make your work less real to the readers, unless they happen to be feeling sad already when they read the death scene, or romantic when they're reading the kissing scene. See the problem? If I feel emotion, how can I be sure it's coming from the story and not the music?

But, authors, I can't write without it! (easily)

Chekhov (I think) said "You may weep and moan over your stories, you may sufer together with your heroes, but I consider one must do this so that the reader does not notice it..."

Yeah, I broke Tchekov's suggestion. Tragedy!

But...

(WARNING: Desperate attempt to redeem myself)

When I edit, I don't use music! I edit on silence, or sometimes soft celtic music to drown out the background music.

So that's okay, right?

Okay, lovelies, what're the rules you break?

Or are you a 'bythebook' person?

And do you respect me less, now? *tear*
I can't survive that, so here's what I'll do... I'll make you laugh! (Not mine)
English is Tough Stuff
Dearest creature in creation
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I: Oh hear my prayer.

Just compare heart, beard, and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written.)
Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as plaque and ague.
But be careful how you speak:
Say break and steak, but bleak and streak;
Cloven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe.

2 comments:

beth said...

Dude, I break the rules *constantly*. But for whatever writing rule there is, there's another "rule" stating the exact opposite, so, eh!

Lisa and Laura said...

Um, yeah. We're rule breakers too. We edit while writing (obsessively) and we're known for using lots of words that end with ly. Stephen King would weep.