Monday, 24 May 2010

Confession!!


I have a confession, authors! I am a slow reader.
*GASP*
It’s not that the amount of words I read per minute is low, it’s not that reading is this agonizing process, it’s just that I take a flipping long time to finish a book! I have friends who can read soooo fast, and authors, guess what? It embarrasses me. Because, surely, I ought to be a fast reader, the best reader, an author-reader, right?
Alas, I read slowly. I read a couple chapters in a book, put it down, forget about it, sometimes for days or weeks. How un-authorly of me!
Am I the only one? (Probably, but please, if you’re the same way, confess! We can take solace from each other, author-readers!)
I love books. I love books. I love books. I love books. I also love reading (duh). But every time I read a book I get so drawn in emotionally, that it’s exhausting. Hence, next time I look at a book, my mind screams, “NOOO! I CAN’T TAKE THE DRAMA!” Which is ridiculous, right? So I tell my mind to shut up and get on with my reading. At least until Nancy pulls me away.
But I had to tell you, because it really is something I’m uber embarrassed about; authors, I have to force myself to read. Seriously. I love it, I want to do it, but more often than not, it’s Nancy that actually makes me read.
Again – is this just me?
Anyway, my day is off to a slow start (because I finished The Dead Zone, woohoo! Nancy is pleased with me) and I need to take the dog down. Have I mentioned having a dog in an apartment is really inconvenient? But he’s a cute dog, his name is Chauncey. *My mom has a thing about naming dogs like they’re British butlers*
Before I go here’s an excerpt from my day:
It was as if the cupboards had thrown up all over the kitchen. Shaking my head, I winced as I set the kettle on the stove, hoping a couple of mugs of green tea would erase my gastronomical indulgences the night before.
“Can I just clean the kitchen in the morning, mom? That cake made me sleepy.”
Ha. Well, it was the morning, and sleepy didn’t even come close to how I felt. I’ve never been drunk, but what I felt now was a hangover wrapped in a blanket and with an air freshener tied around its neck. Not as bad, I’m sure, but disorienting nonetheless.
……
PINK FROSTING AND SODA POP, COMING SOON TO A BOOKSTORE NEAR YOU!!*

XOXO


*may not actually be coming to a bookstore near you – unless you live in Zimbabwe

5 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

This is why i'm so picky when it comes to what I read. I get to feeling the same way if there's too much 'drama'. I don't have a problem getting through it, but I do think I'll read slower if the story line isn't giving me a 'pick me up'. ON the other hand, if the story is funny and fast paced, I literally can not function until its read so I'll finish the book in a 1-3 days.

MBW aka Olleymae said...

I agree with Creepy! I have to be picky too. If it's going to be draining or make me cry or make me hate the main character, I usually don't torture myself unless it's really highly recommended.

I bet if you found a book you fell in love with, you would tear through the pages more quickly.

I have a book that I kinda like but am not emotionally involved in and I've been working on it for like a month while I've read like four other books! How bad is that???

Jade said...

Yeah, I struggled with The Book Thief. I really enjoyed reading it but I had to do it in little bites. It was too overwhelming.

Krispy said...

Generally, I'm a slow reader, but I do mean it in a word-per-minute sense. I think I just like to make sure I'm getting everything.

But I guess I'm capable of reading pretty fast if the book is really engaging or if I feel pressured to finish it. Still nowhere near as fast as many of my friends though. Ah well.

Make mine pink said...

Honestly, I think you reading slow has something to do WITH you being a writer. I find, with music, that I can NEVER have "background" music - it takes all my attention. (It embarrasses me, too, cuz I'm a musician.) So I think it's probably BECAUSE you are a writer that you read slowly.