Thursday, 27 May 2010

I Think I Jinxed Myself - In a Good Way!

Authors, I jinxeded myself! Guess what I did yesterday? (instead of posting a blog... *COUGH*) Authors, I read! And guess what I did the day before! (instead of cleaning my room... *COUGH*) I read!! Dean Koontz' Velocity was... well, it started out kind of eh-y for me, truth be told, but it was either that or tackle the monstrosity of a book that is Wives and Daughters, and so I read a bit more... and devoured finished the whole thing because OMGICOULDN'TPUTITDOWNIWASSOEXCITEDMYHEARTWASABOUTTOEXPLODE! it went from a 'meh' book to a page-turner really quickly.
AND THEN!
I tackled (I like that word -what do you think of when I say tackled? Football/American Soccer or fishing? Doesn't tackle have something to do with fishing?) Wives and Daughters, and authors, it's sooooo much fun! Remember how I said reading Daphne du Maurier's writing was like eating dark chocolate? (remember?) Well, reading W&D is like taking a bubble bath. But it's like a monstrosity of a book (huge) so I still haven't finished. But I can't wait to get back to it, which results in this sloppily put together oh so delicately crafted blog post.
AND SO!
Now I'm also reading (cause I have to read two books at a time) The Yiddish Policeman's Union, which my Uncle Greg sent to me like a year ago and I STILL haven't read. Apparently, it's this fantasmic book, so I'm kind of excited. (About reading - YES, about READING! *Nancy punches the air victoriously - getting me excited to read was on HER to-do list.*)
ONTO THE ACTUAL BLOG POST!!
Authors, I loved your comments on yesterday's post! In fact, I'll just say it, (CONFESSION!) I love you all. All the responses were thoughtful and went in a direction that sort of surprised me. I was wondering about what makes that 'special sparkle,' but you guys took it to a deeper discussion/thought about subjectivity.
And this was interesting because (wanna know why?!) while some of you didn't feel the same 'OMGSOTRUESPARKLIESPARKLENESSTRUTHAWESOME' that I did when reading Taherah's snippet (I'm linking it again because the words look so lonely, they need a link friend) you all agreed that the writing was fabulous.
(Intersting tidbit: I almost wrote writing as righting. Is that like a deadly sin?)
So, about that sparkle... (I'm calling it that because I refuse to let Twilight put a monopoly on the word! sparkle, sparkle SPARKLE! It's MINE! mwahaha! *cough*) what is it? It's (we now know) subjective, and as some of you said, it might just be magic. - I'm inclined to agree, but I'm a fantasy author -
Here's a link to my last blog post, if you want to read through those comments again. I read through them several times, cause you guys are seriously smart.

(Okay, I started to make this post extra long by like posting what all of you said because it was all amazing, but it was getting super long. But I actually agreed with what every one of you said, from the magic bit to the relatable bit. You guys are so awesome. Here: have a funny - politicians on auto tune. :D )
K, now I'm a bit distracted...
Oh yeah, sparkles.
Why was I writing a post about Twilight?
.......
DANG IT.
I will reclaim the word SPARKLES if it's the last thing I do!
..........
All right, so writing is subjective, reading is subjective. But we can feel different ways about a story, even if we agree it's well-written. Interesting, isn't it? Since there's no one answer to the question of what makes a story sparkle (Apparently it's a combination of magic/relatability/relavince/writer&reader chemistry/fairy dust :D) I suppose I'll have to leave that question to the muses.
Authors, what books 'sparkled' for you? Not just books you'll never forget, not just books that are really well-written, but the books that took your world and shook it? One of the books that was like that for me was Songmaster by Orson Scott Card, which I'd definitely recommend. Again, I don't know if it would 'sparkle' you like it did me, but it's beautiful writing about human nature, and even when that human nature is perverse and twisted, it still reaches toward beauty.
What do you think?
XOXO
Bethany

4 comments:

Tahereh said...

fab post, bethany! and thanks for your thoughts :D

THE GIVER definitely rocked my world in 7th grade. it changed everything about the way i'd looked at life -- it was my first introduction to dystopian novels. then again later i read 1984 & WE and those books also stayed with me. somehow the dystopian novels really make me think and really change my perspective on things.

aside from that, jane austen turned out to be my best friend. who knew?

God i love good books.

<3333

Sandy Shin said...

I cannot remember a book that shook my world, except, perhaps, the Bible. But there must have been one. A book that definitely gave me much food for thoughts is TO KILL THE MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee. It was the only mandatory reading book I liked. :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I agree with Tahereh and Sandy. I love The Giver and To Kill a Mockingbird.

My husband loved The Yiddish Policeman's Union.

It's great being on a book roll. Of course, everything else in our lives falls by the wayside!

Lynn said...

I missed your last post but I am going to read it write--oopss--right after I write you. Alot of books have sparkled me but what comes to mind right now is Kit's Law by Donna Morrissey. And for a classic, Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Have a sparkling weekend!