Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Time Off? For Real(z)?


May I take this oppertunity to note how excited I am? Why, authors? Because this Thursday, my family and I are taking a road trip. To where?
Venice! (Read: OMGNOFREAKINGWAYI'MSOEXCITEDOMGOMGOMG!)
(Any Americans reading this - how unreal is that!?!? It takes 8 hours, the same amount of time it takes to drive across WA state! If you include lunch, of course. :P)
*Cue excited jumping up and down*
So what does that have to do with writing?
Well, besides the fantastic ambiance to inspire me for when I get back to my computer, it means a good, healthy dose of time off. It also means the next few days are going to be filled with "OMGIHAVETOGETTHISDRAFTDONEBEFOREIGOORTHEWORLDWILLEND!" a little bit of work. Which leads me to this question.
Authors, when you have 'vacation' when you're not writing/editing, what do you do? I mean, do you totally put it all behind you, or in your spare time (8 hours of driving) do you do that 'writer stuff' that never seems to get done? And if so, what is that 'writer stuff?' I'm already planning on drafting out a query letter, and printing out some good advice to read while I do so, and I'm already planning on reading a good deal of fiction. :) But... well, what do you think? What would you do if you have 5 days of 'being a writer' that didn't involved actually writing prose? (Not spent sight-seeing, of course.)
Poetry, perhaps? But poetry is hard, so that's hardly vacation.
Anyway, I'm excited! Advice, prettyplease?
XOXO

6 comments:

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

Bethany! Put it behind you! It's a vacation. It'll do you mind some much needed good to not think about writing at all. Then you'll come back refreshed and revitalised.

Alesa Warcan said...

I second Alli-Allo... Do something else. Like hunt for good food!

Been there twice, the first unprepared and the second with a ton of research: Venice is a tricky city to eat in.

There are a ton of places that serve expensive myeh food. The trick, as always, is to find where the natives eat.

This is a youtube link to Anthony Bourdain's show called No reservations, and the episode where he goes to venice. It's pretty much on the mark.

I hope you have fun.

Creepy Query Girl said...

Two words. Brain. Storm. I seem to do this no matter where I am or what i'm doing, but particularly when I slide into the passenger's seat of a car. My mind just wonders back to my ms and dwells over the scenes and characters. Or if I have another ms in the making, I brainstorm about what needs to happen, etc...Ofcourse, it's nice to have a little notepad to note down ideas:)

Krispy said...

SO LUCKY! I'm jealous! Was planning to hit up Italy this year, but I don't think it's happening.

When I'm on vacation, I put it all behind me, but I definitely bring a journal along everywhere in my purse in case I have bursts of inspiration. I jot down lines or ideas if I get them. I also take tons of pictures. I'd read on 8 hour driving trips or on planes, but sadly, I get really motion sick from that. So that's out.

Have fun! Just enjoy and absorb!

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the advice guys! Don't worry, I won't work TOO hard - but I'll definitely keep a notebook handy, and I love the brainstorming idea. :D

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Venice. I'm envious. I've written a short piece of Cole Porter's stay there in the late 1920's with Nazi's and all sort of supernatural plots.

To go there and see the place in person -- to smell the air, to see the faces of the locals.

Just soak up the surroundings, Bethany, and enjoy yourself. Farmers don't till the same spot of soil over and over again. They let it go fallow for a season.

And if even dirt needs a rest, how much more do you. Breathe each breath, live full each moment, Roland