Thursday, 29 July 2010

How I Shot the "I Can't"s in the FACE

That's right, they took a confidence bullet right in the forehead! Or nose, whichever would be more painful. :)
This is how I did it: I remembered why I wanted to write in the first place. And, as I always do whenever I find my dreams to be elusive, I read Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art. I know, I know, it sounds lame from the title, but it's really a wonderfully written book filled with thoughts about how dreams and Christianity should free us, rather than scare and restrict us. It talks about how we can be pigeon-holed, and it reminds me about the wonderful, freeing power of words. Dreams. How daring to believe in angels may make the world laugh at you, but how, if you truly believe in angels, why would you care what humans think?
So, this is a short post (before I get back to writing) to say - remember why you started writing. Even if you're not blocked, just take a moment, right now. You can remember the moment you first wanted to be a writer, but is there a certain object that you associate your writing with? A book? A movie? A type of key?
We're the luckiest people in the world, authors. Because we have to write. It's who we are. Other people can fall away from their dreams so easily - but not us. Aren't we blessed?
XOXO
Bethany

3 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

Great post. I try never to forget even when I am really discouraged.

Keep rockin out the words.

Kathryn said...

I've read that book too. It was fantastic. Really helped me think about how I want to shape and improve my craft. Great post! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Love it! Writing is an integral part of who we are - we need to do it :)