Friday, 30 July 2010

Pushing the Pieces Into Place

In the sewer of revision, sometimes the light of publication seems very very far away, and half-imagined. Knee-deep in adjectives, adverbs, and plotholes is a hard place to be, and I've been here... oh, about three months. Give or take a bajillion years.
I love it.

Here's what I have left to do (that I know of, so far):
Cut a major character.
Take another two characters and switch up their traits.
Elaborate on military stuff (If I know so little about it that I have to call it 'stuff,' clarification will not be easy.)
Put much more emphasis on a certain sideplot.
Clarify the magic in the story
At some point, write a synopsis.

I've been writing this story for a year and a half, and it's only now just starting to come together. So why do I love it? Because now when I re-write, I get this feeling of, "Yeah, that's.... right." Things that have bothered me for the past year are falling into place. And I'm wondering, is this the final revise? I mean, obviously I'll have to edit the scenes I'm completely rewriting, but it this the feeling? I don't need it to be, but I'm wondering....

Anyone who's finished writing/editing a book: Was there a particular feeling that came during the final revision? When did you know the story was ready for querying?
And is there anything more I'm forgetting?

XOXO
Bethany

8 comments:

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I think we could all get stuck in the edit cycle. I'm going through the last pass on my MS with my crit group. After that, I know I'll have done all I can.
I do love revision though. Taking the rough draft and moulding it into a proper story is a challenge, makes me happy. I must be ill. lol.

Marsha Sigman said...

I'm not sure you ever know for sure if you are done. You edit all you can. Then let others critique. Re-edit. Then let it sit for a little while, reread it and hopefully you will know. Or say what the hell and query anyway. ha

reberto.alberto said...

Hi there!

Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

“Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

Happy writing!

Lisa said...

I am guilty of querying too early. It's so hard to tell when you are "done." I think if I was ever published, I could still go into a bookstore, open up my book, and want to make changes. I'm one of those types. But I'd say go with your gut. Sounds like you're almost there!

j.leigh.bailey said...

Wow, sounds like you're making pretty fantastic progress and having fun with it. I have no insight or advice to offers, so I'll just stick with: Good luck!

Sandy Shin said...

Sometimes, it's difficult to really know when you're done. That's a great list! Good luck! :)

Missed Periods said...

Glad to hear you are loving it. It's so nice when it comes together.

Krispy said...

Cool that things are coming together for you! I love the feeling of things fitting where they should or figuring out what isn't working.