Thursday, 19 August 2010

Guess That Character Blogfest!!


Hello! We take a break from our normally scheduled blogging to participate in the Guess That Character Blogfest from Jen @ unedited! After you're finished here, check out the other participants! (After I post this, I really should, you know, get dressed for the day. But then I'm off to see the other participants, so yay!)

Here's the deal: I post a snippet of a story, and you try to tell me what you think the character looks like, mmk? (Warning: This isn't very polished yet. :D)


“Snakes!” the girl hissed, her hands shooting down onto the slippery shingles, tightening on the narrow grooves to keep from falling. Biting her tongue, she looked down at the street beneath her – but no one had heard. Not in this storm. Only a fool would be out in the streets anyway.
“Only a fool,” the girl said to herself, cautiously repositioning her feet and making her way silently across the roof. “You’ve really done it this time, Kydi.”
Still, she didn’t lose her balance, and in the dark of the deep night she was impossible to see from the streets below. A shadow in an already dark room, a whisper in a crowded hallway. A slow smile made its way across Kydi’s face as she leapt from one roof to the next, her dark hair slipping from its tie as she landed soundlessly on her target’s home.
The DeLanes were rich, that was certain, and at the moment they happened to be entertaining a rather large group of people in their downstairs ballroom.

Slipping soundlessly from the roof to the window, Kydi smiled when it swung open without protest. Of course, no one would bother locking their windows on a night like this – as she’d said before, only a fool would be out in the storm.
“Is that a draft?”
Kydi ducked back quickly on the windowsill, sas a young man stood from the bench and took a step toward her. “I think the window blew open,” he said.
“Sir Coric, please, don’t trouble yourself,” his female companion said, not bothering to rise from her chair. “Come, play another nocturne. You play so well, and on a night like this…”
Biting back another curse, Kydi dared to look in the window. Sir Coric had turned, and was now heading back toward the piano.
“Of all the bloody houses,” she hissed, cautiously sliding toward the edge of the windowsill and jumping over to the neighboring one. She looked in, but it was empty; it looked like a bedroom. “I had to choose the one with visiting nobility. The blasted nephew of the king himself, no less.”
She continued muttering to herself angrily as she climbed into the room, dripping cold water onto the soft carpeting and drying herself off with the bed sheets.

Moments later, the purse tied to her hip considerably heavier, Kydi again crouched on a window ledge and slipped onto the roof. Only a fool would be out in this storm, only a fool would steal from a house that was entertaining royalty, and only a fool would dare try to make their way across the slippery roofs of the royal city of Catalyn. “Seems I’m all sorts of foolish,” she whispered, the gold in her purse chinking as she melted into the darkness.


Ta-daa!! What does Kydi look like?
XOXO
Bethany
P.S.
OMGGUYSAWESOMECONTESTFORBOOKMONEY! WHICH I DON'T HAVE! Over at Tahereh's blog - you gotta check it out!
P.P.S. this is like my fifth edit for the post. I CAN'T SET IT FREE!

25 comments:

Clara said...

Great snippet! Hum, lets see, I know everything points to her being a brunette, but I dont know why I see her as red haired. Witty, naturally, and in a very good shape.

Jen said...

Great snippet! Great job bouncing around to all the other entries as well, I feel like I need to catch up, then again I did start at 5am and tried to knock out as many as I could! Still making my rounds!

My guess: This girl is most certainly cute. Dark hair about shoulder length, blue gray eyes, no tan in fact I see her a little pale, she has perfect pink lips with a small nose and oval shaped face.

I'm really excited to see if I'm close, then again I'm thinking I'm nowhere near close on any of these!!! Thanks for playing!

Christine Danek said...

Great job!
Short, black hair, brown eyes. Tall and thin.
Can't wait to see. :)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Great stuff :)

I see small, with dark elfin cut hair and big brown eyes. I see a delicate face with a small, button nose.

Can't wait to see.

Christina Lee said...

NICELY DONE! I say short blond hair (like a pixie cut), brown eyes, and short and athletic looking.

Damyanti said...

I see a gamine, petite girl, very athletic and in shape. We know she has long(ish) dark hair, and probably a sensual mouth, dark eyes.

It is fascinating how each of us saw a slightly different girl.

I love your handling of the scene, and am going to follow you!

j.leigh.bailey said...

I'm picturing long dark hair ('cause, well, you said she had dark hair that was tied back...), a pretty, maybe a bit exotic face with light (blue or green) eyes for a nice contrast. Slim build, average height...

A side note: I really liked the piece, too. It's the first time since I started following your blog that I got to see a piece of your fiction. You're an outstanding writer.

J.C. Martin @ Fighter Writer said...

Ooh, she sounds like a babe! Raven-haired, green-eyed, not tall, but slim and curvy. She moves with a panther-like grace. A creature of the night, she has delicate porcelain pale skin, high cheekbones, a dainty chin.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Kydi is obviously atheletic.

She moves with the easy grace of an athelete. Her fingers are long if she can grasp slippery roof tiles.

Her eyes are full of life and intelligence, dismissing convention and people she sees as either obstacles or sheep to be culled.

If she steals, she either needs the money or the thrills -- possibly both. She dresses a boy when stealing. The other times she dresses as it suits her but alway with her distinctive style and convention-distaining flair.

Red hair would fit the fire of her spirit. Blue sparkling eyes laughing at the madness of the world and the fools who try to find meaning in it.

Summer Ross said...

I think all black, small slender, dark hair but light brown intelligent eyes.

Terry Stonecrop said...

Small and agile. In another life she could have been a gymnist. Longish brown hair, tucked up under a cap. Deep blue eyes.

This was a fun read:)

Marsha Sigman said...

Long dark hair, and dark eyes. She is small and athletic but tough. She could kick your ass with a sweet smile.lol

Meika said...

Long, dark hair. Fiery gray/blue eyes. A sarcastic smile.

Candyland said...

I see a petite girl with dark brown/black hair in a pixie cut. She's pale-skinned with bright green eyes and a plump pout.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Great excerpt! I saw a dark, long-haired girl in her mid- to late twenties. She's petite with an athletic build. Her eyes are large and dark brown, almost black. She's very pretty, in my mind!

You have a wonderful blog!

Susan Fields said...

She's got long black hair, dark brown eyes, and a full face. She's tall and athletically built. She's smart and spunky, even if she is all sorts of foolish. :)

Mina Carlisle said...

I see auburn hair, dark blue eyes, petite. She probably resembles a little bit of a fox. She's street wise and probably really skinny because of her life.

I'm also just generally intrigued by the snippet!

Renae said...

Great scene, I realy enjoyed it! I'm seeing a short pixie type style with dark hair and bright green eyes.

Well done! I can't wait for the reveal!

Steph Sinkhorn said...

Well, she definitely has dark hair ;)

I picture a lithe, strong, athletic girl. Probably tall. Maybe with a few scars from taking risks and getting into fights. She has dark, intelligent eyes. She probably dresses like a commoner - a poor one.

Vicki Rocho said...

a thief! woo hoo. She's got dark hair obviously, and long (past the middle of her back) slightly curly/wavy and definitely unruly which is why she likes to tie it back.

She's slender and cat-like quick. Big eyes. Unusual. Maybe green or hazel? Impish smile.

DL Hammons said...

I see Mila Kunis as the stealthy Kydi. Dark smoldering eyes, and an athletic build. Yep....definitely! :)

Meredith said...

Um, I love this. I totally love it. I want to read more! I see Kydi as a girl who's slender but has a lot of lean muscle. She has long, black hair that she keeps in a braid and dark eyes that flash when she's angry. Maybe a few scars, too. Can't wait for the reveal!

Brenda Drake said...

I'd say she's athletic, she has very dark long hair that's pulled back out of her way, she has very light blue eyes, and golden skin. She's careful, but tough.

I hope I'm right. Love the premise. Can't wait to meet her tomorrow. :D

Diane J. said...

If she's leaping quietly, she's thin and cat-like in her movements. I'm guessing black hair tied back in a pony tail, heavy black eyeliner around her hazel eyes, and her face is oval shaped and she's has Jessica Alba's skin tone. I'm also going to guess that her eyes aren't wide, they are almond shaped and she can express her emotions easily through those eyes.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Wow, Bethany! I really enjoyed this. I love how you started it. I love how you ended it. Great opening and closing!

I think of her with long, thick black hair pulled into a pony tail and then chained with several "pony-Os" tied down the length so her hair looks like a lumpy snake. She is dark skinned and is wearing black clothes with balloony pants and has dark brown eyes.
:)