Saturday, 7 August 2010

How Did I Not Know This?

Okay, new fav song: Airplanes by whatshisface and Hayley Williams. I never actually heard the song before a couple days ago, but I have a lot 'punk' friends who, of course, made fun of the song. Why? Cause it's popular, guys, and nothing popular EVER lasts for more than fifteen minutes. It's pandering, right...?
Yeah. Shakespeare, TOTALLY fifteen minutes of fame-r.
Beatles?
Michelangelo?
Seriously, why are people making fun of this song? It's legit in every way - the rapper has an actual beat, (B.o.B - is that it?) Hayley Williams voice is unique and rich from the get-go, it has a catchy melody and a beautiful chorus that people relate to.
Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now.
That's what I've been feeling. I wish I hadn't let the judgment of my 'cool' friends get in the way of me hearing this song. Is there anything like this in your world? Taherah Mafi recently wrote a post about this.
Why does popular = bad?
Surely, taking away the PhD analyzers, the experts, the scales of excellence, the analytics, the brilliant theories - surely, taking all that away, the true measure of a book's worth is how many people read it and love it. Surely, if the song (or book) makes people dance, makes them feel, makes them think, makes them hope, that's what matters. Not the allusions, illusions, or disillusionment.
Just a thought. :)
XOXO
Bethany
(P.S. I have a new avatar thingamajig. Awesome, right? :D)
So can I get a wish
To end the politics
And get back to the music that started this -
So here I stand and then again I say
I'm hoping we can make some wishes out of airplanes
Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now
a wish right now.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Dude, creepy... I was JUST listening to that song on youtube because I heard it for the first time this week and really liked it. It's such a surreal song and I get goosebumps listening to it!

Oh yeah, The Beatles? Never heard of 'em. Must have been a one-hit wonder.

Jemi Fraser said...

I have to admit I don't know that song, but I love that lyric - we could all use an extra wish or two now and again.

Nicole MacDonald said...

I swear I only just got that song outta my head ;p

Missed Periods said...

I am pretty sure that I do mistake airplanes for shooting stars sometimes.

I'll check out the song. Sounds pretty cool.