Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Why Peer Pressure Can Be a Good Thing

Hello all! I'm moved in and classes are starting tomorrow, so I'm taking a moment to *GASP* talk about writing. Woohoo! But first: a story.
(hehe)
So here I am, fresh little innocent Bethany, moving into my suite with big eyes at the world around me. It's a good life. But then... I meet my suite mates. They are flipping awesome! And yet, thirty seconds into our 'suite bonding time,' the peer pressure has already started to roll.
Now, it's been awhile since I've experienced peer-pressure, and I was astounded. Like... "Wow! This... can totally apply to my writing!"
I know, I'm such a nerd.
But here's the deal: whenever I hear about peer pressure, it's always in a negative light. Yes, it's the thing that (really) rules our society, but there's so much more to it. There are times when the pressure is painful and the poor innocent child is struggling between a life of straight A's and a life of sin, and that's all we hear about. But yesterday the peer pressure was - get this - fun .
How does that work?
Well, let's take last night: there was talking, laughing, dancing, having fun. Someone tugs on your arm. "Come onnnnn." Stomach jumping, more laughing, resisting. Another tug. Another pull back. Then the pressure can go one of two ways - giving in (not always bad), or sticking to your guns.
How awesome would it be if my book could be like that?
Now I just have to figure out how to make my book into a peer pressure-er. Any ideas? How do you deal with peer pressure?
XOXO
Bethany

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Good stuff! Welcome back! Sounds like you're having fun! And I like the peer pressure comparison.

I think you could even re-name the positive peer pressure into peer influence? How can others influence you? Or inspire? Which can definitely be a good thing!

Missed Periods said...

First, you tell me. Did you give in or stick to your guns? I hope you gave in.

Sangu said...

I know what you mean about peer pressure not necessarily being bad. Sometimes you need a friend to force you into going out and having a good time when you're stuck in a stay-home-and-watch-TV rut (happened to me a gazillion times). but there's a fine line between trying to coax you out, and not respecting it when you do genuinely just want to stay in.

So what DID you do? And what did you go do/not go do?

Jen said...

Glad to see you're back and I know what you mean about peer pressure, sometimes it is simply pertaining to dancing, eating a little more, or just laughing a little harder. If writing were that easy I'd be in adventure land every day!

Elana Johnson said...

Peer pressure CAN be used in good ways. Like you can influence people for good, just as you can with bad.

And I have no idea how to do this in books--or I would! Uh, good luck? Yeah, good luck.