Monday, 29 November 2010

Oh Wow... First Drafts

Pale paper waiting, heart racing, ink sliding across the page - but no, not in words, but scribbles.
"No, that's not right."
"Wrong word!"
"What does that even MEAN?"
"That would sound better phrased differently."
Sound familiar?
I'm sure you've all been there, but I'm back in that mysterious world called FIRST DRAFT. It's been awhile, I'm trying to get used to it again. Any advice?
I'm not generally a perfectionist, but one of my friends read the first draft I had scribbled out, and his first comment was, "It looks like an English teacher went to town on this."
*sigh*
What about you? Any troubles with first drafts? Especially when you're just getting started?
XOXO
Bethany

4 comments:

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

Hugs.
Sometimes it is so hard to get started. The only thing I can suggest is what I do -- just write. I'm the worst for changing things, but I figure first draft land is about getting the bones of the story on the page. Editing helps me make sense of the words later.

Robin said...

Jaron always told me "Gosh darn it, Robin. Just freakin' write!" He'd then proceed to give me a lecture about how when you first pen something it might be awkward, but that's what editing is for. Just keep writing! p.s. I LOVE YOU and miss you. Come home soon!

Vicki Rocho said...

I agree with the other advice. Just keep writing. No one writes a masterpiece the first time through...and the fact that you recognize there are flaws is GREAT! Imagine all the poor clueless people who don't know that their work needs work.

You can do it!!!

Aisling said...

Arrgh! First drafts! They really do bug me. I don't like drafts, I just edit as I go. I find that most English teachers cramp my style. I have more trouble starting than I do anything else. After I start, it's much better.