Saturday, 26 February 2011

The Joy of Contradiction

*Life Update* I, friends, have some editing to do. No, not in my novel... well, yes, always, but still... what I'm referring to is in my query letter. The main body of it, at least. College, while it's been overwhelming and wonderful, is teaching me how to manage time, and writing has finally found its place. So, there's your update on time management. :D

As I was watching my new roommate play an RPG, watching the oh-so pretty graphics and characters, I thought about who I really enjoy in video games. And, since we all know how much I LOVE drawing parallels between writing and video games, I wondered if it could carry over to writing.
Here's what I came up with!
I will always, always love the rockin baddie - not necessarily a bad guy, but a man who is just pure awesome down to the core. If my rockin baddie has a heart of gold, he may be considered more of a hero, but if his heart is more rusty silver, I could get into that.
The point here is the rough-and-ruggged stranger doesn't have to be genuinely good for me to like him, and I don't think I'm alone in this. Don't be afraid to have a guy who may be on your protagonist's side, but isn't exactly 'home to the folks' material. He's more fun when you can depend on him to do the right thing, but would never ever show him off to the parents.

That's it for now! :) Have a fantasmic day!
XOXO
Bethany

1 comment:

Jemi Fraser said...

That type of character is very enticing - you never quite know what they're going to do next! :)