Friday, 11 March 2011

Tragedy


*Thanks to Angela Ackerman for bringing this to my attention this morning*
For those of you who, like me, were unaware, a massive tsunami recently hit Japan. Hundreds are already reported dead, hundreds more are missing, and thousands are homeless.

I had trouble grasping this. I still do. And when I started to grasp it, my brain automatically went to a book I recently reread - The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.

I know, it's a totally different story, but one of the things that I was enamored with in that book was how she describes grief.
"My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other."
There are thousands of people in Japan figuring this out right now. Thousands.
The American Red Cross hasn't gotten involved yet, but they're standing by, waiting for the Japanese Red Cross to ask for help.
"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse."
XOXO
Bethany

4 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Tragic and terrifying at the same time.

Angela Ackerman said...

Hey thanks for posting this and helping spread the word. It's so tough to know the pain others are facing.

Hugs!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Marsha Sigman said...

This is so sad. Really feel for all those people and their families.

Jemi Fraser said...

It's so sad - the images are devastating. The Red Cross has been so busy this year.