Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Writing Blind (And contest!!!)




It's the final draft! It's exciting, right? Right? It's incredible! Fun! Amazing!
It's....
Awesome?
I can't tell... guys... guys?
Um....
I'm writing blind here.

I've put this work away for awhile, let it simmer and all that, but it's still hard to see some things. Sentence fluency I can see. Plot and characterization I can see. Pacing? Nuh-uh.
Any advice? Do any of you know what I'm talking about? Do you have any experience with this?
****

OH! And you guys are AMAZING! I'm at 100 followers, which is SO awesome I love you all SOOO much! So what do I do? I hold a contest!!!
Really, though, I don't like calling it that. It sounds too... competitive. Oh, I have an idea - let's have a party! An awesome give stuff away party!!
That's what we're calling it, k, guys?



So, after all your wonderful comments and support and love, let's give you guys prizes, mmk? :)

So without further ado, we have up for grabs.....

2 10$ giftcards to Amazon!!!!

And all you have to do is leave a comment telling me...

A) You're a follower (new or old?)
B) Your favorite genre to read/write
C) Your favorite writing music (or if you prefer silence)

But there's more!
If you put a link up on your blog page or post about this contest, you get +2 extra entries! (leave links in your comments, or comment again to let me know!)
If you tweet about this, you get +1 extra entry! (be sure to include @beyeager so I know to count it!)

And more!
Just for fun and +1 extra entry, you can tell me about any funny writing/editing mistakes you've made. The one that makes me laugh the most gets bragging rights and another extra entry. :)



So add up all your extra entries and tell me in the comments, cause I'm awful at math. :) Thanks!
Seriously, you guys, I love you!
XOXO
Bethany
(P.S. Winners announced next week!)

8 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

I wish I had advice on pacing. That is a hard one. Letting others read it helps though. Good luck!

And congrats on hitting 100!

so old follower, write in silence, and re-told fairy tales MG/YA are my favorite.

I sidebarred you:

janetsumnerjohnson.blogspot.com

+3 I think. :)

L.G.Smith said...

Hmmm...the pacing thing is probably best fixed by a reader who is willing to be very honest about where the story slows and where it revs. A few readers would be even better.

And I'm a new follower
I like reading historical fiction but I write fantasy.
Must have silence when I write.

Bethany Robison said...

I didn't really understand pacing until I read The Hunger Games - it's the gold standard (in my opinion at least). I read The Hunger Games, and then I read my own manuscript, and it just kind of clicked (Oh, this part's kinda slow... I'm skimming, so that's probably a clue...). I'm not sure how else to explain it. I guess find a book that has the "feel" you're going for, and try to imitate it.

Now, to the other questions:
a) I'm a relatively new follower
b) I like to read all kinds of things, I like to write fantasy/adventure
c) Depends on what I'm writing - lately I've been listening to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park :)

Bonus - Funny moment: I found an agent that I loved and really wanted to query. I spent a ton of time getting a submission packet together, checked and double checked, felt sure that everything was perfect, clickced SEND. There was just one thing I took for granted...

I spelled my name wrong.

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Congrats on all your followers. Great prizes! :)

Lisa Gail Green said...

Oh you don't have to enter me! But congrats on your followers! You know my favorite genre ;D. I highly recommend running the book by a Beta reader or crit group of some sort, that should help!

Sangu said...

Congratulations on hitting 100!

As to the pacing issue, I have that problem too. Time away from a manuscript helps with some things, but not others. What I usually do is try reading it from start to finish like it's my first time (hard, I know, but it's easier if you've had some time away from the book) and if there are any bits where I'm skimming, or less interesting, I know I have pacing problems there.

The other thing is asking someone else to read it for you. That usually works - a fresh pair of eyes can tell you what feels slow or not.

Oh! And a third, rather sneaky tip: I find that short scenes/chapters make a book feel pacier than longer chapters and scenes (even if the content is exactly the same). I think the breaks tell our minds that we're moving on so it feels like the pace flows faster.

Christina Lee said...

Hmmm... I'd say leave it up to your betas to help you out!

oh and YAY for a contest: follower, YA, and angsty ;)

Elle Strauss said...

I'm a new follower, YA, and silence.

For pacing I'd suggest marking your script where its going to fast and where its going to slow. Add to the fast parts and cut from the slow.