Friday, 15 April 2011

Every Little Thing Matters

Everything.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for your well-wishing and your patience this week! It's been incredibly busy over here with school, parents visiting, and church. But hopefully I'll be able to pick up my life sometime next week! :)

So here's the dealio:
A few days ago, I was reading a wonderful book which shall remain unnamed. It's pretty popular, so far as I can tell, and it's been sitting on my shelf for months. I was very much looking forward to reading it, and I wasn't disappointed. It was well written, fun, and delightful to sink into.
Until the next to last scene.

Main battle over, denouement underway, things should be okay, right? Even if there's a couple little mistakes, it shouldn't be a big deal. The book was fantastic.
And it was.
Except for the last bit of that ity bity scene.
See, one of the characters did something I found extremely outlandish. Extremely. A tragedy had occurred, and this character blamed the MC for everything - everything that wasn't truly the MC's fault, at all. And no one would think it really was - so why would that character, knowing the little that she knew, accuse the MC? And the MC didn't bother explaining herself.

Am I the only one who sees the problem with this? It feels so contrived, like the author wanted the MC at a certain state at the end of the novel (friendless) and didn't bother trying to do it naturally. But it was after the main part of the book - and still, I've decided not to buy the sequel. Harsh? Maybe. Do I want to invest more time, emotion, and energy into a book that may cheat me at any given point? No. And if the author can do it there, she can do it in any part of the book.
I don't trust that author.
Does this mean I'll never read the sequel? Possibly not. Does it mean I've written the author off completely? Definitely not. I liked her writing, and I know how easy it is to make mistakes, and I've made plenty more than one characterization hiccup.
But I'm not in a rush to read her next work, which is kind of what authors want, isn't it?



What do you think of author trust? Is there an author you trust implicitly? What about one that's let you down once or twice, but you still keep coming back to?

XOXO
Bethany

2 comments:

L.G.Smith said...

That's a shame. I suppose I do lose trust in certain authors if their words/endings don't come across as authentic. Doesn't happen very often, but sometimes. It might keep me from reading the sequel too.

Christina Lee said...

OOh that's a tough one-- I'd love to hear her reasoning in an intervew or something, ya know?