Friday, 29 April 2011

Queries are Evil - But Here's The Thing...

You gotta do it. You just gotta.
I know it's hard.
I know it hurts.
I know nothing hurts more than thinking your baby project is being rejected because you can't write a certain way for a query. I know.

I'm there. Right now. It doesn't look like it's ever going to go away. Like I'm stuck in this pit forever. Maybe you're there too.

Here's a news flash: no one likes the query process. Lots of people say it's a broken system. Well, maybe. But here's the deal: it's worked so far. It's working now. So it can't really be broken, can it? It's hard to be a writer; we have to be multimedia gurus, editors, advertisers, and talented in both prose and summery. Here's the thing:

We do it anyway.

So yes, have your days when you want to throw the querying process off a cliff. Have your moments when you cry, rage, hurt, and vent (if you're wise, this WON'T take place on the internet). Eat chocolate. Drink good wine - or in my case, soda. Then pick yourself up, because this isn't the end. We'll get published someday, because we know it takes more than talent - it takes those gallons of sweat, blood and tears.

Just my thoughts for the day. :)
XOXO
Bethany

6 comments:

Elliot Grace said...

...written by someone armed with the determination to succeed. Best post I've read all night. Simply inspiring:)

EL

Talli Roland said...

Too right! It just has to be done. Hang in there!

Lindsay said...

So true. But we just have to strap on our big girl panties and do it. ;)

Phil Hall said...

Why do I have the strange feeling this post was directed at me? ;)

Lisa Gail Green said...

Bravo! You got it. Keep trying. Keep learning. Keep moving forward.

Joanne Brothwell said...

It hurts like hell to write it, but it's a necessary evil. Good luck.