Wednesday, 27 April 2011

The Underrated Necessity

Can you guess what it is?
That's right!
Grammar!

I don't know about you guys, but I have several friends IRL that have toyed with the idea of writing. Naturally, I encourage this. :D I understand that few people wake up one day and say, "I'm going to be a writer, darn it! A serious one!" and even fewer go through with it. However, some of my friends have continued writing. Others have not.

And you know what's strange? Almost every time, the distinguishing factor of whether or not they'll continue writing is how they use grammar. Weird, right?

I guess in some weird way it makes sense. Serious writers know it's not all fun and games, so they brush up on their grammar. Fair enough. People who aren't serious about it write the stories for fun. Also fair enough. So here's the moral:

If you want to be a serious writer, learn grammar.

Not that all writing has to be perfect, goodness no. (Heaven help me if it did!) But you should know the rules, even if you decide to break them. And luckily for writers, there is a LOT of help out there, and not all of it is as boring as your sophomore English class.

A) Strunk and White's Elements of Style. It's not just grammar, it's also an invaluable how to write guide.

B) Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares - Not only is the name hilarious, the blog itself is witty, helpful, and grammatically accurate. :)

C) Google. It's not your enemy. When in doubt, type it into the search bar.


I'm not trying to say if your grammar is bad, you'll never be published. Well, yes I am, but not really. If your grammar is bad right now, that doesn't mean you'll never be published. Authors are the ones who work on the difficult stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't work on some of the fun stuff first. Write your story. But please, please, edit out the grammar mistakes even before you send it out for beta. Your readers will thank you. :)

I guess that's that.
So today, I thought I'd dress up in high fantasy. NOT as easy as it sounds! Ready? :)

And then I just HAD to stare dramatically into the horizon!


XOXO
Bethany

5 comments:

L.G.Smith said...

You're having too much fun with this dressing up stuff!

I sometimes feel like writers have an ear for grammar the same way some people do for foreign languages or music. Of course, a lot of grammar is absorbed through reading, and most writers are avid readers, so...

Good post! What's next? Ooh, Sci-Fi girl or historical fiction?

Talli Roland said...

Ah yes, my old pals Strunk and White. Love them! You're right: grammar is really important.

My blog's disappeared so my temporary home is here!

Lisa Gail Green said...

LOL when I started, my grammar was HORRIFYING. It still probably needs a lot of work, but at least I've come a long way.

Janet Johnson said...

Well-said about grammar. And I love the dramatic stare into the distance. :)

Missed Periods said...

Thanks for the shout out. That was an unexpected treat. I love your steampunk outfit. Very cool.