Friday, 27 May 2011

What I Love About the YA Trend

I figured I should balance it out, you know. Because, as I told you Wednesday, I have some 'resentment' toward it as well. So here's some love. (P.S. when I say trend, I do NOT mean fad. I wouldn't call it that. When I say trend, I mean the rise in popularity it's recently enjoyed! :D Good word!)

Reason #1: It's fun. It's interesting. It's talented people reaching out to teenagers and taking all of us on fantastic adventures that wouldn't be half as fun if they featured adults.

Reason #2: It takes talent. Never let anyone look down on you for writing YA. You're entertaining teenagers, of all the ridiculously impossible things. Keep it up! :)

Reason #3: You're getting kids to read. That is, for me at least, the highest praise. In a TV dominated society, you get busy, texting, emailing teenagers to pause, unplug, and read.

ALSO!!
Wow guys, I love love LOVED your responses to Wednesday's post! Some of my assumptions were scattered, others were confirmed, and either way, I know more about you now!! LOVE!

P.S. I'm glad so many of you started out blogging by following Nathan Bransford, Tahereh Mafi, Querytracker, The Rejectionist, and Elana Johnson, because, OMG, me too!!! :)
Also, to answer questions:
1. I definitely plan on always writing fantasy. That said, I'm currently working on a contemporary YA, a sci-fi, and a horror. Because I'm sporadic and love branching out. :) But fantasy will always be my base.
2. SUPER happy it's almost summer!! I'll be writing nonstop. :)
3. My mom and I are bestest friends ever, so I'm super excited to live with her this summer. Whether or not she's knows I'm awesome (Marsha, you're so sweet! :D) is a bit of a mystery, but she's always supported me.

So, peace out? And have an AWESOME weekend.

XOXO
Bethany

8 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

These are some of the exact reasons I love YA. I actually think it's more challenging because of who our target audience is and their attention spans.lol

I say that with love.

Have a great weekend!!!

Kathryn said...

There's a lot of great YA out there, for sure! And it's such an improvement on the YA that was available when I was a kid. I can definitely see this generation being stronger readers than mine was!

Christina Lee said...

Awesome couple of posts, my friend. And to add to #2-it takes talent: you have to actually write FOR teens, you cannot sound like an adult and that takes talent no matter what anyone says-esp. those who think we're "dumbing down" (same for MG).

Jemi Fraser said...

One of the reasons I think I enjoy YA is because it didn't exist when I was a kid. I basically went from Anne of GG and the Hobbit to Agatha Christie & Anne McCaffrey. It's great to see so much variety :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Those are some of my favorite reasons to write YA. :D

Rebecca Kiel said...

YA is definitely worthwhile! There are plenty of times I bring home books from that section of our library. Besides, I want quality stuff out there for when my kids are older. Keep it coming!

Missed Periods said...

The fact that YA is so popular makes me happy because, like you said, it shows that kids are reading.

Talli Roland said...

I think it's great that there are so many YA books out now, and that all the vampire/ dystopian stuff is keeping kids hooked!