Friday, 10 June 2011

My Life Is Upside Down

If any of you are new to this blog, I'd like to tell you something. Firstly, Hello!! Welcome! What's your favorite type of pie?
And secondly, I'm totally a pantser.* This applies to blog posts as well as fiction. Never have I outlined my stories, spending time exhausting an idea before I started on it - the idea was preposterous!
Until now.
That's right. I have two new WIPs, one is a fantasy that I'm pantsing away at (with?). The other is a contemporary YA that I OUTLINED.
And I like it.
It's a weird feeling, and if you ask me if I could outline the fantasy WIP like the YA, I'd laugh, chuckle, snort, and giggle until I fell out of my chair. There's no way. But this YA? Yeah. I've got this outlined. It'll be awesome. :D

Now for character names.... (I swear, my MC is named 5 different things in the outline, all starting with S)
Are you a plotter? A pantser? Or both?
XOXO
Bethany

*My computer wanted to auto-correct this to 'panther'. I almost wish I'd let it. I'm a PANTHER!

13 comments:

Rachel Searles said...

Hahahah! You're totally a panther ;)

Bethany Robison said...

Welcome to the YA Dark Side :) Happy to have you aboard!

I make a very elaborate plan complete with profiles and outlines (several pages worth) and then I pretty much deviate from it. So I tell everyone I'm a plotter - but maybe I'm a planter.

The Golden Eagle said...

Both. Sometimes I'm a total pantser, and sometimes I come up with a detailed plot outline. And, as it usually happens when I have a sudden spark of inspiration, I write until I'm stuck and then I outline.

Apple pie!

Christina Lee said...

Banana cream pie!!!!

I am now offcially somewhere in the middle and it suits me fine! :-)

L.G.Smith said...

I'm mostly a panster, but to maintain a sense of story arc/structure I do have to know the main conflicts and final climax somewhat before I start so I don't end up going over a cliff.

And since you asked, I like razzleberry pie!!

Marsha Sigman said...

I don't really like pie. I'm a cake eater.lol

And I'm plotser. I used to just be a pantser but I started liking the very loose hand scribbled outline. Otherwise I ramble and the story ends up going on forever.

Lisa Marie Miles said...

Chocolate cream pie. Mmmmm, pie.

I used to be a pantser who got nothing done because I got lost part way through. Now I outline, and while I love it, I'm definitely not afraid to deviate from it.

Jenna Cooper said...

I've been converted from being a pantser to an outliner as well. It's really strange, isn't it? But I like it, too. :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I love anything with chocolate, so chocolate cream pie for me.

My MC's name stays constant, but I've changed the names of supporting characters.

I'm a plotter all the way.

Talli Roland said...

I plot the major turning points and then fill in the blanks as I write.

Have fun writing! Don't worry about the names. :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm mostly a plotter when it comes to novels (I don't write short stories, but I guess that would be true there too). When it comes to my blog posts--I'm a panster all the way. :D

Steven Whibley said...

I'm a total plotter. I need the outlines written, polished and rewritten. I used to be a panster, but I spent so much time re-writing that it just wasn't working for me.

Lisa Gail Green said...

I hereby give you permission to be both. :D Yay!!