Friday, 1 July 2011

I Feel Like I Should Clarify



On the blogging world, it's possible to really get to know people. Sometimes it's easy - some bloggers are open, honest, and personal - other times it's a little more difficult. Sometimes you have to read between the lines, sometimes you have to pick up snippets left in unguarded moments.

I'd like to be a blogger of the first type, I really want to be honest and open and up front. So I figure, why not explain one of the interesting - perhaps perplexing - aspects of this blog?
Why not explain why video games had such an impact on my writing career?

It's simple, really. I was a child who
A) hated reading
B) loved pretending
C) loved stories.

Yes, I hated reading. Passionately. I refused to learn. Why sit and read other people's adventures when I could run around the galaxy on my trampoline? When I could fly across the sky in my swimming pool? When I could control the elements in my back yard?*

But I was also very social as a child and I wanted people to explore, fly, and fight alongside me.
Hence, video games.

My brothers were not willing to explore with Tribal Princess Alora in the deserts of Elisvania. They were, however, willing to rescue and fight with Princess Peach in the perils of Bowser's castle. Sometimes we actually played the games, more often then not we were outside acting them out.

Except we didn't get the nifty costumes.

I learned how to tell stories before I ever read them.

That is why I love video games. They tell stories in a more interactive way than television and a more physically interactive way than books. They contain rich, developed worlds to play in. They are the elements of story without the exposition. They taught me story before I ever read a book, and they taught it in a simple, interactive way.

Did you ever play video games as a kid? Did you ever borrow worlds from books, movies, tv, and imagine yourself as the hero?

XOXO
Bethany

*Note: I love reading now, I promise. :)

12 comments:

Summer Ross said...

Bethany,

I still play video games. I never acted out video games but I did act out wrestling TV shows, action films, and some Disney cartoons.

Marsha Sigman said...

We didn't have the video systems and games that are available now when I was a kid.

But I lived every single adventure I read about as a kid...right beside the heroes.

L.G.Smith said...

Let's see, I've played Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong. Not real impressive. I have no idea what the games today are like. My son doesn't have any interest in them at all -- which is good, because I'd probably be the one to get hooked on them.

Sangu said...

I love video games! I never had a proper console like my brother now does but I always played tons of adventure/puzzle/mystery games on the computer and now on the laptop and iPad. Still love reading best, though :-)

Jenna said...

My older cousin used to come over to my house every day after school -- and he was obsessed with basketball and Mario games on the Nintendo. I'd try to get him to play with me, and he usually did if I incorporated the Nintendo world and basketball challenges.

One of my favorite video games is Jak II. I used to play it all the time, until aforementioned cousin borrowed it and somehow broke it.

Ellie Garratt said...

When I was younger I much preferred to tell stories than write them. It was less work and more fun!

Ellie Garratt

Jemi Fraser said...

LOVE that photo - those kids have the best costumes maybe ever!!

There were no video games when I was young *sigh* - but I acted out all kinds of stories on my own ... and with my imaginary friends :)

Bryce Daniels said...

Ummmm.....I'm a Pong generation guy. Can still remember how excited we all were. Sigh.

Have a great holiday!

Talli Roland said...

I never really got into video games. Not sure why! I've no doubt you love reading now. :)

Angela Ackerman said...

I loved video games, but I think books were always my first love. However, technology was just ramping up then...it would be interesting to see what today's generation thinks and how much it influences them over other media like books.

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Morgan said...

Yes! Someone else who acted things out! :)
I think I've done all of the above- and got half the street to join in. Mostly, we stuck with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. But there were a few Star Wars days, and even some Pokemon.

Now that I'm in college, I don't do that anymore-instead, I make student films that are parodies of things like the lord of the rings and pokemon... so... basically, I do the same thing, but with a script and a camera :P

Morgan said...

Hum... I think you've inspired me to write a post on this now. Do you mind if I quote you?