Monday, 18 July 2011

Today....

My heart is broken, my defenses are down

If you must throw a punch, best throw it now

I won’t feel it tomorrow, when the dawn is red

When the rain is gone and the eulogy read


If you’ve wanted to hurt me, now is the time

The clocks are all broken, the sun cannot shine

I’ll be better soon, best take your chance

Whether to break me down or to ask me to dance

I can’t fight tonight, I haven’t the will

I haven’t the energy, so steal me your fill


If you try again, I won’t fight you today

Give me a drink and I’ll ask you to stay

Tell me a joke and I’ll laugh and not cry

Give me a story and it’ll break me inside

Weave me a tale and I’ll believe every word

Tell me to jump and I’ll fly like a bird

Hold me tight and I won’t push you away

Say the storm’s blue and I won’t see the grey


If you want to control me, today is your shot

Ask for the world and I’ll give all I’ve got


It won’t last forever, you know I’ll escape

I can’t help who I am, I can’t help who I break

For this fleeting today I will do all you ask

Tomorrow my face will be back in the mask

If you must throw a punch, best throw it now

My heart is broken, my defenses are down


XOXO

Bethany

18 comments:

Janet Johnson said...

Wow . . . I hope this is just well-written fiction poetry and not a view into your reality. Hope all is well!

Marsha Sigman said...

Bethany, this is so good. I read it early this morning but didn't comment. Had to let it sit for a while.

I love it.

L.G.Smith said...

Wow, there's a lot of vulnerability in that. Very nice.

And I agree. I hope it's a nice piece of fiction and not a reflection of a crappy weekend.

Laila Knight said...

That is some deep prose. I've had moments like that when I've felt so vulnerable it's scary. I guess the secret is to never let anyone know your guard is down. :)

Lisa Gail Green said...

I really like that poem. Nice! :D

Emy Shin said...

This is such, such gorgeous poetry. I've been reading and re-reading.

(Although, yes, I do hope it isn't reality. *hugs*)

Lauren W. said...

Beautiful poem!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm with Janet. I hope this is just fiction. Great poem either way. :)

Jenna Blake Morris said...

Amazing poem -- it almost reads like a song. Though, like the others said, hopefully it's not true.

Missed Periods said...

I really love it. Especially the line about the mask.

Jen Daiker said...

Wow. Bethany I'm breathless. You had me from the first line. I loved this. So raw and so much emotion. I loved. Truly, truly loved it.

Lynda R Young said...

great poem. I love the honesty in it.

Sangu said...

I loved this. It's very moving. Reminds me a bit of Auden's 'Funeral Blues', which is one of my favorite poems ever!

Creepy Query Girl said...

beautiful prose and emotion I think we all can identify with at one time or another! Great job!

Talli Roland said...

I do hope this is fiction! Hugs hugs HUGS if not!

Laila Knight said...

Come over and play. I want to know more about you. :)

Short Poems said...

Nice site you have here. You write some good poetry!

Love it :)

Take care
Marinela

Lola Sharp said...

This was lovely and heartbreaking. I'm with Janet, I hope this is 'fictional' and not the state of your life right now. (if it is: *hugs*)

I hope you are having a lovely weekend! :)
Hugs,
Lola