Monday, 26 September 2011

How Do You Like Your Books? Scrambled? Sunny-Side-Up?

In the grand kitchen of life, authors can take on many roles. They can be the dishwashers, scraping the interesting bits of story off of other people's lives. They can be the master chef, orchestrating the story around them. They can be the floorsweep, working the day job. (ha!)

Authors can also be your breakfast chef, making eggs in any way you please.

We can make your eggs Sunny-Side-Up, and always put a smile on your face. (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Terry Pratchett Novels, Princess Bride)

We can make your eggs hard-boiled, solid plotting that takes a little more effort to chew up. (The Malazan Books, Ulysses, the Old Testament)

We can make your eggs soft-boiled, fun inside a solid framework. (The Hobbit, The Liar Society, The Later HP Novels)

We can make your eggs scrambled, and confuse the heck out of you! (Momento, Jealousy by Robbe-Grillet)

And there are dozens more of intriguing, unique, beautiful ways that we can whip up some eggs!

What kind of eggs would you like this morning?

P.S.
Hey guys, I'm having my 150 follower contest - please check it out! It sounds intimidating to some, but all you have to do is leave your favorite shakespeare quote. Go for it!

XOXO
Bethany

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

Love this.

I'm having hard-boiled eggs today--I'm reading THE FEAR by Charlie Higson.

Lisa Aldin said...

I'm going to Sunny Side Up today!

Francesca Zappia said...

Most days I'm a sunny-side up sort of person, but right now I'm feeling more hard-boiled.

That means it's time to go write!

Nancy Thompson said...

Definitely hard-boiled! Great analogy, by the way. Very clever!

Jennifer Hillier said...

Love your analogy! It's a soft-boiled egg kind of week for me, I think. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

I love scrambled. :)

Carrie Butler said...

Clever! I want mine hard-boiled with residual Easter dye!

...Oh wait. That wasn't an option, was it? Drat!

Great post! :)

Mark Noce said...

Well I don;t really like eggs, or at least not to taste them in something...so with regards to writing I like something subtle:)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love them all, especially sunny side up (even though I prefer my eggs sunny side squished).

Lisa Gail Green said...

Love the allegory. :D I've always wanted to be a chef!

Lynda R Young said...

Yep, definitely sunny side up :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Um... Over easy? Really well done over easy.

Nas Dean said...

Sunny-side up please? Loved the Priincess Bride.

Nas Dean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina Lee said...

AHHH-- this is so awesome. Depends on the day,BB! Today, scrambled!
:--)))

Lynn said...

Fun post! Today I'd like my eggs light and fluffy with a splash of red colouring!

Talli Roland said...

Love comparing books to eggs! :) I'm going to say sunny-side up.

li said...

It definitely depends on my mood, and where I'll be reading. Vacation? Sunny-side up. Winter evening? Scrambled or hard-boiled.