Friday, 9 September 2011

This is for KIDS?



150 followers! YAY! Stay tuned, contest details coming up on Monday!

Yesterday I was taking a trip down memory lan
e, playing all the video games I had as a kid. I played those games, having fun, but I was especially looking forward to playing Majora's Mask again. So I popped it in and prepared to sit through the opening cut scenes.

What the hell?
Legend of Zelda has often felt a little bit... macabre. Entire populations destroyed by freezing/suffocation in a pool of ice (Zoras) being first starved half to death and than eaten (Gorons) or simply having their village burned to a crisp (Hylians). Majora's Mask takes this tendency to a bit of an extreme.

It took me about ten minutes into the game to realize that this was NOT intended for kids. Kids can play it, in the same way kids can glide over inappropriate jokes in Disney movies, but there is a LOT in here for adults.
This is a real screenshot from the game. Seriously.

Oh, and so is this:


Yes, that's the moon. And yes, it is freakishly close to earth.

Even the humor is dark. For example, in the local inn, at midnight every night, a hand (I'm not kidding) pops out of the toilet, asking for toilet paper. Yes. Yes it does. And if you give him some, he gives you a piece of heart, which gives you more health.


You thought I was kidding.

So, all in all, I'm a bit freaked out. I love the game, but it's a LITTLE creepy.

How about you? Any memories you've returned to that aren't quite like you remember?

XOXO
Bethany
P.S. I'm not sure what this has to do with writing... I guess the lesson here is don't write about a hand that pops out of toilets asking for paper. It's been done.

On the bright side...



7 comments:

Lisa Aldin said...

LOL! Welp, I've got to go back and re-write my story about the hand that pops out of a toiler and asks for toilet paper. Shucks!

And congrats on 150 followers! Woot!

E.R. King said...

My six-year-old was asking for this game, and I was going to get it for him, but now I'm rethinking it. I don't remember it being this dark. Hmmm...

Carrie Butler said...

Great. Now I'm afraid of the toliet...

*grins* Have a great weekend, Bethany! :)

Lauren W. said...

I think the scariest thing is that that's a toilet!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, this game sounds dark! Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by a memory not living up. It must have been something food, for sure. :)

li said...

I think the most recent disappointment I had was visiting a beach resort we went to when I was little. I remembered the boardwalk as being REALLY long (it's only about 5 blocks) the rides numerous and fun (not much) and the hotel pool as being pretty big (deep end is really only 5 feet deep). Wish I hadn't gone back!

Carolyn V said...

It's the toilet? That is scary!