Friday, 14 October 2011

The Book Break-Up

Yes. I had one of those.


Yeah, I'm not going to lie, guys. It sucked. 60,000 words of insane awesomeness, then BAM. Out of nowhere.

"You've broken my plot for the last time! My characters are never good enough for you! Don't lie to me, I've seen you look longingly at those YAs. I've heard you talk about how exciting steampunk would be. I can't change who I am!"

"Of course I look at YAs and steampunks. We never meant for us to last forever. I was going to make you pretty, you were going to try to sell. That was the deal."

"But I thought we had something special!"
"We do. We have something better than this. I just want you - us - to be spectacular."

"No! I'm done! You take your deadlines and your plot development and go write fanfiction. We're over."

"..."

Maybe I'm a little overdramatic, but darn, that's what it felt like. I felt worse on Wednesday night than I feel when I break up with my real-life people.So what did I do?

I played some video games. I watched movies with friends. I *cough* did some homework.

Sure enough, yesterday we both apologized. The book break-up is over. Now we're like this:The message here? It gets better. Stick with it. :)

XOXO
Bethany

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

Glad the book break-up is over. Sometimes a short break helps.

E.R. King said...

As they say, breaking up is hard to do.
Sorry, bad joke. I'm glad you and your book are back on speaking terms. : D

L.G.Smith said...

Ha! Very funny, and oh so true. Have a great weekend!

The Golden Eagle said...

Glad to hear the break-up is over. :)

Carrie Butler said...

Hah! Glad the book break-up is over. ;)

Slamdunk said...

Homework is always good for grounding when other problems are being contemplated.

I bet that is an experience of peaks and valleys, but remembering the long process will make standing just past the finish line that much more joyous.

Talli Roland said...

You're so right! There's always a moment I feel like that, and then it gets better. Hope you're having a great weekend!

Lauren W. said...

I was so worried at first! This is such a funny post.

Missed Periods said...

Did you have make up text?

Lisa Aldin said...

HA HA! I break-up with my book at least three times a week. We have one of THOSE relationships!

Janet Johnson said...

I've been having committment problems with mine. :) Looking forward to sunnier times.