Monday, 21 November 2011

At The Absolute End Of Things...



What do we have left when the world is stripped away? When your entire lives are consumed in flames, which losses hurt you the most?

I know it's a backward way to give thanks, imagining everything I love has been destroyed. But in a time and country where I'm showered with blessings - both material and relational - making a list of things that give me joy falls a little short of real thankfulness.

If my world was consumed by a fire, I would be annoyed by the loss of my games and books. I would be severely annoyed by the loss of my computer and mp3 player. I would be annoyed by the loss of a full wardrobe, the ability to grab a snack from the fridge, notebooks, schoolbooks, school awards, jewelry, stuffed animals, technology, pillows, blankets, journals. It would be truly annoying - and these are all things don't want to lose.

If my world was consumed by a fire, I would be heartbroken by the loss of family pictures, gifts from loved ones, a few special books, my stories, and my home. I would be heartbroken - and these are things I love.

If my world was consumed by fire, I would give my life to protect my family. I would die to keep my friends safe. I would sacrifice my life to guard my faith.

Those are the things I'm thankful for.


Thank you, Father. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving, see you all next week!


XOXO
Bethany

9 comments:

Cassie Mae said...

Beautiful post. Really puts things in perspective. Happy Thanksgiving!

Janet Johnson said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bethany! Great perspective. :)

Nancy Thompson said...

In my experience, and yes, I'm kind of an older gal (48 next month), nothing is as important as one's health. You can have all the stuff in the world and have nothing if you don't have your health. And likewise, you can have all that you need, even if you have nothing, if you at least have your health. Something to keep in mind as you grow older. Happy Thanksgiving!

Carrie Butler said...

Well said! Happy Thanksgiving, Bethany! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Lauren W. said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bethany!

JeffO said...

A very interesting way to approach it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Misha said...

That's such a beautiful way to look at it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sangu Mandanna said...

Such a great post. Happy Thanksgiving Bethany!