Thursday, 17 November 2011

Build A Man by Talli Roland


Slave to the rich, rude and deluded, cosmetic surgery receptionist Serenity Holland longs for the day she's a high-flying tabloid reporter. Unfortunately, every pitch she sends out disappears like her clients' liposuctioned fat, never to be seen again. Then she meets Jeremy Ritchie -- the hang-dog man determined to be Britain's Most Eligible Bachelor by making himself over from head to toe and everything in between -- giving Serenity a story no editor could resist.

With London's biggest tabloid on board and her very own column tracking Jeremy's progress from dud to dude, Serenity is determined to be a success, even going undercover to gain intimate access to Jeremy's life. But when Jeremy's surgery goes drastically wrong and Serenity is ordered to cover all the car-crash goriness, she must decide how far she really will go for her dream job.

Why I started reading: When Talli asked for reviewers a week or two ago, I jumped at the chance. Her voice, in her books and in her blog, is charming and snappy - so how could I resist the opportunity to read more?

Why I kept reading: Her voice lived up to my hopes - and exceeded them - but characters cinched it for me. Serenity is a flawed protagonist, that's evident from the get-go, but I found myself rooting for her - for all the characters. Throw in a complex and fun best friend, a diabolical tabloid editor, and that ever important addition of Jeremy, and you have a fantastic story.

The Writing Style: Like I wrote above, Talli's voice comes through amazingly, but Serenity's voice is also vibrant and distinct. Even when her decisions make you cringe - and sometimes they will - her voice comes through earnest and eager, like that girlfriend you begged to please, please not buy that bright orange dress with the frills.

The Story: Well crafted and well paced. Sometimes the story takes you from one silly, laugh-out-loud to another, sometimes it slipped into a more serious tone. Overall, the balance was great.

Do I recommend? Definitely. Go check it out - it's out for pre-release on Amazon.com. In the meantime, you can also check out The Hating Game and Watching Willow Watts.

XOXO
Bethany


7 comments:

Jenna Cooper said...

I like how you review books. Straight to the point and doesn't give things away.
I'll have to add this to me TBR pile.

L.G.Smith said...

Looks a little like Talli on the cover too. :)

Sounds like a fun read. I'll have to check it out.

The Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like a fun book. :) Thank you for the review!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, thank you so much for taking the time to read and review! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.

Sangu Mandanna said...

Yaaaay so glad you liked BUILD A MAN, it's been on my Must Read list for ages!

Christina Lee said...

Oooh sounds FAB!! Love the MC's name too. Go Talli!

Lisa and Laura said...

I love Talli and I absolutely must check out some of her books. They sound like they're right up our alley!