Wednesday, 2 November 2011

English 202 Miss Clairol - Helena Maria Viramontes

For this week's English 202 blog post, we're supposed to post two multi-layered questions about Helena Maria Viramontes' Miss Clairol.

1. What does Arlene listen to as she's getting ready for her date? Why does the narrator call her a 'romantic'? How are love and sexuality related to each other, according to Viramontes?

2. What does Arlene borrow from a friend for her date? Why does the narrator include how badly the dress fits her? In combination with the hair dye and stolen makeup, what is Viramontes implying about Chicana self-identity?

3 comments:

Jenna Cooper said...

I don't think I've ever heard of Miss Clairol before, but from these questions it sounds intriguing.

I wanted to let you know that I've given you a blog award over on my blog. :)

Marsha Sigman said...

I have no idea what you talking about or the answers to these intriguing questions...

Happy Thursday!

Lola X said...

Such a great post! Love visiting your blog!

Lola x
http://lola-x.blogspot.com