Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Genre Switching - Good or Bad?


I'd like to make it absolutely clear that I believe authors should be able to switch genre. There. It's clear. :) That said, what about stories?
I'm not talking about one novel split into three genres, I'm talking about switching your entire book around from one genre to another. Can it be done? Should it?

How vital is the genre to the story inside of it?

Now that I've gone all existential, I want to ask something else. I have 700 words so far (eck) in the NaNo story, and I've switched genre three times. I can't decide! So what do you think, lovely readers? Which genre would you suggest?

or
or


What do you think?
XOXO
Bethany
(p.s. that's YA, Urban Fantasy, or Steampunk) :)


4 comments:

L.G.Smith said...

As much as I love to see Lincoln with a machine gun prosthetic arm (is that what that is?), it's hard for me to say no to long black coats and swords. :)

mshatch said...

yeah, I'm with LG here.

Nancy Thompson said...

I like that second one best!

Phil Hall said...

Call me insane (Bethany: "You're insane!"), but I think that you should merge all three genres into one. A Young adult (age range of MCs), Urban (in a city someplace), and Steampunk. Why not?