Wednesday, 18 January 2012

For All You Dystopian Lovers Out There... (And Anyone WIth Concern to Free Internet)


I know I'm 'taking a break' from blogging, and you've all been WONDERFUL in your support and understanding, but this is an important issue that I think more people should know about.

Stop Online Piracy Act, and it's sister, the Protect IP Act

Please, don't be fooled. I'm against authors (and developers, and musicians, and artists) getting their music stolen, just like most of you. But there are some things about SOPA you should know.


"The bill, if made law, would

expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods." -Wikipedia

It sounds good, right? It sounds important.

It's also utterly ineffective at stoping piracy. I could get around it, after a few minutes of instruction, you could get around it.

Problem is, if you want to remain a law-abiding citizen, you can't.

Do you know (could you find out) the IP address of the sites you enjoy visiting? Great! No government Big Brother for you.

Do you NOT know the IP address? Bummer, now every site you visit is monitored.

I could go into all the details here, but really, find out for yourself - here are some great sites:

Wikipedia (which participated in a black-out to raise awareness against SOPA)

Google (The black box? Yes, that's also for awareness against SOPA)

BBC News (One of the few media sites that's reporting)




An Open Letter to Washington by the founders of Yahoo!, Google, Firefox, Wikipedia, etc.


I'm including the last one because there are both companies I like and companies I dislike on the list. Notice, however, the distinct lack of technology based companies and web-based companies - you know, the people who actually have a clue about how to stop piracy. True, the ESA is on there, (Entertainment Software Association) and it's assumed that they're speaking for the gaming community. That is NOT true. In fact, there's a petition going around among gamers to boycott E3, the largest ESA-run gaming conference in North America.

This applies to you. Don't get scared, don't get paranoid, but do be aware. And if you have a chance, help stop SOPA and PIPA. You can be against piracy AND against these bills.



7 comments:

Rebecca Kiel said...

Thanks for taking the time to explain this issue further. Google's black box did get my attntion!

Emily R. King said...

I saw something about in on Craigslist. I was floored. I had no idea this was going on.
Thanks for the extra info!

The Golden Eagle said...

Already sent a letter to Congress. I really hope the bill does not pass . . .

Lynda R Young said...

Yep, it's a bad idea hidden behind good intentions. (well, it's more than that, but you get my meaning).

Talli Roland said...

Thank you for the explanation and for drawing attention to this issue!

Chris Kelworth said...

I need to do something about contacting the Canada state department.

Long live the free internet!

Misha Gericke said...

I agree. These laws will only be applicable to the people who aren't the criminals. :-/

I hope they get thrown out.