Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Changing Covers

Let's be honest. We've all heard not to judge a book by it's cover, and we all do it anyway. That's why book covers are such an important part of being published. And as the shelves of bookstores get fuller with more and more options, we don't have time to skim through every book that looks interesting.

So today, I'm asking the consumers (us!) what they would buy if they could ONLY go by the cover. Newer version, or old? Since fantasy novels have notoriously bad covers (there's a whole site devoted to it, look!) I thought I'd start there - but with good covers. :)

First up! The classic! The timeless! LORD OF THE RINGS!! (Fellowship of the Ring)






I really like both of these, but I think I'd be more likely to pick up the second (newer) cover. It's simple, uncluttered, and more modern. However, the first cover has a lot going for it because it captures the feel of the beginning of the novel - unrushed, delightful, excellent with hot chocolate and snacks.

Next up! From fantasy to an entirely different fantasy... Interview with the Vampire!



















This is hard to choose for me, since I've never read the books. What do you think?

Sometimes smaller differences can have a big effect, as well. The newer cover works for people who are familiar with the older cover, but do you think it loses something, or gains something?






















Would you ever change a cover you loved?
XOXO
Bethany

10 comments:

Christina Lee said...

EEP-this is so tough! I guess I go with all the modern ones (maybe it's the font?)!

The Golden Eagle said...

Maybe--if the new one's as good or better than the old. It seems to happen a lot with paperbacks, and it's interesting to see what they switch around.

L E Waters said...

I'm actually surprised that these famous books don't have better covers. I would think LOTR would be more fantastic than that. Do we like it when they use the movie images for a book that has become a well-known movie? It's hard not to imagine them once we've seen the movie.

JeffO said...

"Do we like it when they use the movie images for a book that has become a well-known movie?" I don't. With all due respect to Viggo Mortensen, I don't want to see him on the LotR or The Road (my wife doesn't mind, though).

Funny, I would have thought the black cover was an old, old, old cover for Fellowship. I kind of like that dark, menacing look, with all the runes. As for Interview, the one on the left looks too romantic, though the one on the right strikes me as more of a suspense thriller. The last set of covers is a toss-up--I like elements of each.

Tonja said...

If I saw both versions of the LOTR book on a shelf, I'd pick the old one. I'd probably pick the new one on the other two.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Modern ones all the way. Anne Rice's looks like a thriller now. Not so before.

Self-published authors are doing it all the time. If their novels don't sell well, they change the cover (and often the title) and try again.

mshatch said...

well, I like my version of Tolkien's Trilogy which has a completely different picture on and same for Interview with the Vampire (mine was hardover with a gold jacket). Can't speak to the third as I haven't read it.

Jennifer Hillier said...

This is a great blog topic! Interestingly, I'm drawn to the old covers in each instance, though I usually have more modern tastes. Hmmm, must contemplate what that means...

Lisa Gail Green said...

I try not to go by the cover, but there are a few I just can't set back down. Interview w/a vampire? I like the first one!

Ravena Guron said...

I really liked the first LOTR cover because it looked more "fantasy" to me. Judging books by their cover is fun!