Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Killer Karacters (Introduction)

First, to set the mood...


That's better. 

When you hear the term "Mary-Sue," what famous fictional character pops into your mind? 

When you hear the term, "Star-Crossed Lover," which pair do you think of? 

When you hear the term, "Freakin' AWESOME" which badass character of style and coolness do you  envision? 

Here's a few more questions to ponder: 

What would Star Wars be without Han Solo? 
What would Lost be without John Locke? 
What would Firefly be without Jayne Cobb? 
What would Harry Potter be without Hermione? 

That's right, lame. Absolutely lame

It got me thinking - what is it about these characters that's so vital to storytelling? None of those are the "Main Character" of their stories, but all of them are (arguably) indispensable.

It's a big question, and it begs another one: What can I do to create characters like that? 

I'm going to explore this question over the rest of summer, and when I figure something out I'll let you know. In the meantime, who is your favorite Killer Karacter? :)

At the moment, mine has got to be the soawesomeIcan'tevensayhisnamewithoutsqueelingfreakingamazingunkillable Garrus Vakarian, from the Mass Effect series.



Who's yours?


XOXO
Bethany

7 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

I don't want to answer those questions in case I get it wrong.ha

But this is a Great Topic!

Fav has to be Hermione but there is also:
House of Night series-Aphrodite.

Definitely need to work on my secondary characters!

Ravena Guron said...

Mine would be Gollum from the Lord of the Rings (which I'm reading now :D)

(Marsha... you read the house of night? I got through the first couple, but I found the MC so annoying and some of the characters so unrealistic as teens I just had to stop.)

Jemi Fraser said...

Anyone from Firefly!!

R2D2, Aragorn & Legolas & Gimli, Timon & Pumba... There are so many great 2ndary characters who make the story stronger.

Going to check out mine now...

Tonja said...

Han Solo is the best side-character ever.

Corvus Press UK said...

Sancho Panza-great character, wonderful moniker. Good post

The Golden Eagle said...

Lame is right!

One of my favorite secondary characters is Watson, from the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Margo Berendsen said...

I am missing Jayne Cobb now... but seriously I've been pondering this question a lot this summer too, what makes a killer character. Sometimes the supporting characters are even more memorable than the main one (Han Solo vs Luke Skywalker. Not that I don't love Luke).