Monday, 13 August 2012

Killer Karacters (Distracted Edition)






For those of you who don't have 8 minutes to spare, that's basically a rundown of a poll about sexiest animated men - since the internet is clogged with videos about sexiest animated woman (Jessica Rabbit usually topping the list). Take a look at the list - you may be surprised.

Writing is, of course, different than television - but some of these quotes just ring true. (Obviously, there's some stereotypes and generalization going on here. Bear with me.)


A big subject in the video is brooding. Some women feel attracted (insanely) to men with a past. Hence Goliath from Gargoyles. "But the big cincher? Goliath's voice." 

Obviously, we authors can't make the readers hear a certain voice in their ear, but we can add a certain kind of voice to our characters.


"And what do we like more than a big masculine crusader for justice? A project!"
There are a lot of stereotypes here, and I don't think this means 'fixing' a man - which is a horrible idea and you should never do it. I think it's more to do with taking someone in pain and (despite the pain you yourself will receive in the process) give them so much care and patience that they heal and then happen to fall in love with you. Which will rarely happen and so is a horrible idea and you should never do it. *COUGH*

"Evil is sexy, what can I say?"
Yes. Yes it is

"Not so light and frothy as to be boring, but got a sad enough situation to warrant some coddling. He wants you to trust him... even though he may not quite deserve it." 

(In reference to Aladdin - everyone with me now, awwww)

So there you go - for the guys, some clues into the minds of women (again, this is all generalized and probably not true for a LOT of gals). And for you girls... Batman is in that video. Seriously. Watch it.

Bethany

12 comments:

The Golden Eagle said...

That was an interesting video. There are definitely parallels to book stereotypes.

Jemi Fraser said...

Awwww is right! :)

Gotta say I do have a thing for certain kinds of male voices! :)

Carrie Butler said...

Do you know who has the sexiest voice on the planet? Steve Blum. True story. ;)

L E Waters said...

I definitely had a crush on Aladdin, but I think the sexiest animated character of all time is the fox from Robin Hood. I don't go for brooding bad boys, I prefer the charming and adventurous! Great video!

Stephanie Thornton said...

I'm pretty sure the best male voice ever was Clark Gable's. His laugh in Gone With the Wind makes me melt every time!

Talli Roland said...

Kermit the Frog has the best voice ever. Seriously - I had a mini-crush on him growing up. Not sure I should admit that.

Ravena Guron said...

I was going to comment but then I read Talli's comment and I died of laughter.

Caryn Caldwell said...

That looks interesting! I bookmarked it so I could come back and watch it when I have time. Honestly, I hadn't thought much about stereotyping men like that until you mentioned it here, but now that you've pulled out a few instances I can think of tons more. Looks like we all have unrealistic expectations to live up to.

Sangu Mandanna said...

Ha I loved that video! Definitely parallels some trends in YA...

Tara Tyler said...

so fun! love villains or dark heroes better than the squeaky, but there are girls who like the supermen nice guys, usually the bad girls, ha!

Janet Johnson said...

Too funny. I guess I would be an exception. The bad stuff has always turned me off. But I know a lot of people who can't resist. :)

Still, love the concept of this video!

Paul Tobin said...

Fascinating I was taking notes as I watched!