Monday, 28 January 2013

How to Win Procrastination




HAHA!! Like I have any idea how to not procrastinate. Well... I'm no expert on managing time wisely, but I suppose I AM an expert on procrastinating, so I'll focus this list on things that get in my way!

1) (Lack of) Prep.


Part of what helps me procrastinate is just sitting down with the intention to write. Ha! There are so many ways to defeat that urge. Oh, I forgot my equipment (pens and paper), I'd best go get that! Or wait, what color were his eyes? Best go check the background and notes I scribbled! Now I'm hungry and I need a snack, and hot cup of tea. Best go boil water.




2) Always Keep Internet On


Never turn off Wi-fi, what are you here for? Work? Nah, the internet has a million distractions, and all of them are definitely things you need to do right now. Didn't you know? Always have a browser window up with facebook, ready to see the instant you get an email. Oh, and don't forget to keep checking your g-mail to see if an agent suddenly requested a partial!

3) When All Else Fails, Stare at the Screen Endlessly


This is a last resort. Don't lean back in your chair, close your eyes, and give yourself time to think. Don't look out the window for a few minutes. Don't take a deep breath. After all, if you do that, you might actually get back to work afterward! What a horror. No, if you are absolutely determined to procrastinate and work keeps getting in the way, stare at the screen. After all, if you make yourself give up for the night, it's the easiest thing in the world to spend the rest of the evening on the internet or TV.

There they are, my tips for winning at procrastination. How do you procrastinate?

XOXO
Bethany




7 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I've learned to disconnect my modem in the basement if I want to actually write. Unfortunately, this isn't easy when the kids are home. I need to wi fi on to distract them so I can write. With my PC, I can unplug the wireless thingie and put it downstairs so that I'm not tempted to go online. No so with my MacBook. There's nothing to unplug. :(

Carol Kilgore said...

Maybe I read blogs :)

Actually, I budget in blog reading time. My worst thing is reading the news. All the news. I'm a news junkie. I have to make myself not even go there until after my writing time.

DL Hammons said...

What....no re-introduction today?? Let me guess...you procrastinated?

:)

Slamdunk said...

The Internet is a fav here as well. I can always think of 10 things I really really need to inform myself about as opposed to the task that is in front of me.

laurenwaters.net said...

I'm the queen of procrastination! One of the things I've been addicted to recently is searching stock images for future(far-into-the-future) books!

Tara Tyler said...

that sounds like a great new part game! who can delay taking their turn the longest! ha!

playing with the dog is a good time waster, but writing is what i di to procrastinate against housework!

Marsha Sigman said...

LOL, ok this is a little scary. We are definitely on the same wave length today.