Wednesday, 30 January 2013

I Have A Question!


I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss (who has a wonderful blog here) and it's gotten me thinking. This is an amazing book overall, but the detail is astounding. Little things that turn what could be a cliche subplot into something new, things that take archetypes we know and make them unique.  It's no surprise to learn he spends a good deal of his time on editing. 

So here's my question: 

What is the ratio you prefer to spend on first drafting and editing? Where are you at right now? 

XOXO
Bethany

(P.S. For those that are interested, Rothfuss outlines his editing process here - he's also incredibly amusing)

5 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

See, that's the sort of extra effort I appreciate. I may have had a little mini-rant on my blog today about cliches. :P

I'm one of those writers who doesn't follow the logical advice when drafting. I don't do a rough first draft and then edit. I write/edit/write/edit the entire time. Takes me longer to finish, but I have a fairly polished draft when I'm done. My 100k+ word novels take me about two years to write and revise. And right now I'm at the year and a half mark. Hoping to be ready to pitch it in the fall. Fingers crossed.

Tonja said...

I spend a lot of time revising too.

laurenwaters.net said...

I write quickly, but then that means I have to spend at least three times as long revising and editing. I also probably spend as much time researching and outlining as I do writing the first draft. So, for me, writing is the easy part.

Lisa Gail Green said...

That's a great question! I think it depends on the book. But I also know that the more time I put in editing, the better the outcome.

Slamdunk said...

I can't answer this from a writer's perspective so I'll respond from being a reader.

I have multiple books and articles on the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh's infant son. I recently read a new perspective on the crime by Robert Zorn. It was obvious that he had spent years researching and editing as he had added little things like the articles that were in a specific magazine issue that one of the residents was reading at the time of the crime.

I think all of his work added depth to the story. As such, I appreciate writers that go above and beyond in their writing.

Enjoy your weekend.