Friday, 11 January 2013

If You've Never Been Tempted to Write Science Fiction....

Why didn't the dog star laugh at its own joke?
It was too Sirius.

 hehehehe

Today, I had my first geology lecture of the year. And, as all the best geology classes do, our class started learning about the universe. After all, how can we study the Earth properly without knowing where it came from?
If you've never read anything about cosmology, I'd recommend it here.There is some pretty fascinating stuff out there in the galaxy, more than we can possibly understand - which is part of why science fiction is so powerful.

I'm not claiming to be a great source of information on writing science fiction (READ: I KNOW NOTHING) I have some amount of experience reading science fiction but almost no experience writing it. I've never considered myself knowledgeable enough about any type of science to write about it, and I enjoy science fiction stories based largely on science more than 'adventures in space' stories. (Though both can be excellent.) 

However, when I see something like this...



suddenly I'm ready to abandon my WIP and write science fiction for the rest of my days. That video is a tour through the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, hundreds of thousands of galaxies - and only those within 1.3 billion light years of Earth. Take a minute to watch the video, I strongly recommend it, then take some time to wonder: how can we really believe we're alone in the universe?




XOXO
Bethany



11 comments:

L.G. Keltner said...

I love writing science fiction, and it's things like this that inspired me to pursue writing this genre in the first place!

L.G. Smith said...

I like watching sci-fi movies where I don't have to think too hard, but I have the hardest time reading science fiction novels. My brain just doesn't work that way. It sees an alien name with three syllables and a hyphen and just shuts down. :P

But that video is awesome. And I'm going to have to steal that dog star joke. :)

L.G. Smith said...

Also, it's pretty much an L.G. fest on your blog so far. :P

Marsha Sigman said...

I have to break the L.G. streak.ha

That video was amazing and a few others that popped up afterwards. Love watching that stuff. Sometimes I catch Morgan Freeman and through the wormhole or something like that on cable. But when it comes to sci-fi I'm very visual. I would rather watch it than read it.

Great post! Love that you're back!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now you know why some of us do write science fiction!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I want to believe we're alone because the SF movies I've seen have freaked me out. :D

Jemi Fraser said...

I do love science fiction and the what if's :)

The Golden Eagle said...

The video is fantastic. Seeing something like that always makes me want to write about all those possible worlds!

Great GIF, too.

Carol Kilgore said...

When I really look at the stars in the sky, I feel very small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, no matter what the grand scheme is.

Tara Tyler said...

so cool!! welcome to the dark side!!

Robin said...

I didn't think I could be tempted...and now I have been. Thanks a lot, Bethany. :P Missing you, lady!