Monday, 21 January 2013

Rhythm and Rhyme Appreciation Post

So here is the deal: I am a fantasy writer. I've been a fantasy writer since as long as I could remember, and certainly long before I knew how to write. I was scribbling away in my mind, acting out adventures, charging into forgotten caverns (cupboards) and swimming in deep lakes (our pool) even in the most dangerous of times.

Yet there is a very large part of me that is not a fantasy writer. Even when dragons are calling and king's are being slain, part of me stops in the village to hear words. Words from every direction, every lilt, every accent. This is the part of me - fantasy writer or no - that loves language.

So here is my poetry appreciation post. Have you ever heard spoken poetry? I don't necessarily mean poems that writers read aloud at slams or open mic nights, but words that were specifically written to be read aloud. The topic can range from Wile E. Coyote that makes you laugh:



To giving our children the gift of self-confidence that goes beyond looks:



To a new view on anxiety disorder:




But it doesn't need to be spoken to be powerful.
Lies I’ve Told My 3 Year Old Recently

Trees talk to each other at night.
All fish are named either Lorna or Jack.
Before your eyeballs fall out from watching too much TV, they get very loose.
Tiny bears live in drain pipes.
If you are very very quiet you can hear the clouds rub against the sky.
The moon and the sun had a fight a long time ago.
Everyone knows at least one secret language.
When nobody is looking, I can fly.
We are all held together by invisible threads.
Books get lonely too.
Sadness can be eaten.
I will always be there.” 

Raul Gutierrez, “Lies I’ve Told My 3 Year Old Recently” 

Writers love words, it's sort of in our job description. These are some of the words I've fallen in love with. What about you? Any favorite poems?

XOXO
Bethany

8 comments:

mshatch said...

I like this one:

http://100.best-poems.net/what-do-women-want.html

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Love it! Especially the first one. It's sounds like the 21st Century version of Shakespeare. lol

Lisa Gail Green said...

OMG I love that last poem!!! Thank you so much. Words are art.

L.G. Smith said...

Yep, I kind of love words in a way that most other humans I'm related to don't understand.

L E Waters said...

Great post! I LOVE the last poem especially. That last line tears at my soul!

Slamdunk said...

Wow, unique talents for sure. Katie's performance is impressive.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I loved this - especially the poem :)

Tara Tyler said...

yay for poetry! so glad i appreciate it now!