Thursday, 14 February 2013

Getting Back Up... Again and Again


It happens to all of us, published or not. Somehow, somewhere, someone is not going to like something about our project. Sometimes it's something as 'trivial' (but actually desperately important) like the title, sometimes it's something crucial like the main character.

Sometimes the opinion comes from someone who knows what's publishable, like an editor, and should be listened to like professional advice - worth mulling over, at the least. Sometimes it comes from someone closer (mother or friend) and hurts us because, gosh darn it, shouldn't they support us even if we can't write worth a damn?

It's like this whole process is a journey, and we're the poor, hapless plumber running along the danger ridden road.



Mario is an expert at rejection. Every time he slips up even a little bit, he can fall into lava, get blown up by a bob-om, punched by bowser, and this is the screen he gets:

complete with evil laughter by Bowser.

But what does he do?
He jumps up, picks up his cap, and tries again! This time a little wiser, a little smarter, and able to get a few feet more down the road before dying again.

If you've every played a platform game, you know the feeling. After hours of staring at the screen and learning how to jump on and over a timed paddle that flips over every time you touch it, you finally make it to the other side. You breathe deeply in relief, go a few more feet, and get pushed into the lava by a swinging chain that was lurking on the other side.

At this point, you (and Mario!) have two choices:
A) A furious phenomenon called Rage-Quit:
 B) Taking a short break, breathing deeply, and trying again.

So now the question is up to you - how will you handle your next piece of rejection?

XOXO
Bethany


7 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

I believe I may have experienced that "rage quit' before.:D

By the way, can I get a few more "extra lives" for my writing while we're at it? I keep jumping and falling into the abyss every time I try to make that leap to published. ha. :P

Marsha Sigman said...

I may know a thing or two about that 'rage quit' part.lol

Keep at it!

Carol Kilgore said...

I just finished a future guest blog that touches on this journey we take as writers. Great post.

Happy Weekend!

The Golden Eagle said...

Hopefully #2. But I'm sure RAGEQUIT will come into play sometime or other!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Rejection always inspires to challenge myself more. Challenge myself more after I pig out on chocolate. :D

Misha Gericke said...

Yeah I know the rage quit feeling all too well. In fact, it's the reason why I have three unfinished computer games on my laptop.

You'd think I'd stop bothering to buy the stupid things by now.

ANYWAY. Writing wise, I try to take deep breaths and see it from the other person's point of view. Then I decide if it's shite or not. If it is, I ignore it. If it isn't, I try to find a solution.

One thing that does have me in rage quit mode is agent rejections. Because I know I'm sitting on something good. That I'm not deluding myself. People I never met critted my work and said it's really something that can get somewhere. Yet... I keep getting the "I just don't feel like I'm the right agent for your story." rejection.

Why it bothers me is simple. It's sort of shite but I can't prove it, but it's also not, but I can't do anything to fix it since no one's taking the time to tell me what the hell is wrong. :-/

*deep breaths and happy thoughts*

Anne said...

That's such an ingenious way to teach people that we are always given opportunities to do things over again. I know I wouldn't quit.