Monday, 23 March 2015

Rumblings from the Deep


"Then something came into the chamber - I felt it through the door, and the orcs themselves were afraid and fell silent. It laid hold of the iron ring, and then it perceived me and my spell."
- Lord of the Rings, Bridge of Khazad-dum

The flight through Moria has always been one of my favorite passages in fantasy literature. There's just something I love about ancient evil rising from the depths, monsters waking from a thousand lifetimes of slumber.

Maybe it's because I can relate -- especially after a late night and a blaring alarm clock.

Don't tell me you've never felt like this on a Monday morning.

Maybe it's a cliché plot devise, maybe not, but it never fails to capture my imagination. And the proof is in the pudding; my current WIP is largely about ancient powers coming back to life.

What's your favorite example of the awakening ancient evil? Or your least favorite? There are a lot of potential pitfalls for the plot device, and I know we've all seen it done poorly.

XOXO
Bethany

P.S. Do you like how I made my first blog post in over a year about an awakening ancient evil? Rising from the black depths of university, maybe?

1 comment:

Jemi Fraser said...

Glad to see you!
Love that scene in LotR - both the book and the movie - so well done! Ancient evil is fun :)